Tax exempt status for Churches......

Rate this topic

fishnmagician

44 mins ago, JaseB said:

You totally have to listen to that podcast after actually reading all of this thread.   These people are dyed in the wool brainwashed. 

Or just stupid.  But being a Christian, I don't want to be mean.

If you don't want to take it up here pm me with your thoughts

Do I have to download his podcast?  Or is there a site I can listen to it on.

This is a question I struggle with.  Like anything else I think there are degrees.

I see a small Presbyterian congregation in a small church on the hill with folks streaming in for Sunday services.  And it makes total sense.

Then I see the **** tards Osteen, Sharpton, Robertson, Dollar, Swaggart, Wack Jobs in Utah on a commune and I see them fleecing the flock and it makes me not only want to tax it, but fine the **** out of them.

Its a tough subject.  For me at least.

"He's a good stick" - Mr. Miyagi"  ~  "Yep!" - Captain Dingo

"How are you doing that" - Jimmy the Mate  ~  "Shipwreck is one of those guys!" - Capt. Freddy Gamboa

I'm for letting the churches keep their tax exempt status.

I can't believe people get outraged by other people giving "their" money to churches.  They got a Lear jet and I don't. :waah:     I need to protect the people who are freely giving them money.  Give your money to who ever you want to, I don't care. 

The biggest fish in the river gets that way by never being caught.

Edward Bloom

20 mins ago, Riverboat33 said:

I'm for letting the churches keep their tax exempt status.

I can't believe people get outraged by other people giving "their" money to churches.  They got a Lear jet and I don't. :waah:     I need to protect the people who are freely giving them money.  Give your money to who ever you want to, I don't care. 

I dont care who they fleece.  I just think they are blatantly criminal and should be stopped on principle and rule of law.  People should not be allowed to steal, no matter who its from.

"How are you doing that" - Jimmy the Mate  ~  "Shipwreck is one of those guys!" - Capt. Freddy Gamboa

2 mins ago, Shipwreck said:

I dont care who they fleece.  I just think they are blatantly criminal and should be stopped on principle and rule of law.  People should not be allowed to steal, no matter who its from.

Who are they "stealing" from ?  I am also against stealing.

Edward Bloom

Rubes

The same people coming to NYC and getting pictures taken in Times Square with Spider Man for $50

17 hours ago, fish'nmagician said:

I would support removing the tax exempt status of a church based on ONE criteria.

X% of all money received in donations should be used for charity......

IMHO if a televangelist is fleecing the poor and feeble minded to buy mansions, yachts and jets, 

they should not do so on a tax free basis.

thoughts?

FWIW I think tying it to a particular issue like BETO did is stupid and dangerous.

Do good works.... tax free

live a lavish lifestyle TAXED

+1, The best post you have ever made!

17 mins ago, Shipwreck said:

Rubes

The same people coming to NYC and getting pictures taken in Times Square with Spider Man for $50

16 mins ago, Shipwreck said:

Which is illegal

Still not seeing the "stealing".

We need more and bigger government to keep the rubes from giving their money to the wrong people.  

Sounds like an assault on personal freedom.

Edward Bloom

32 mins ago, congruent said:

It's not the salaries, it's the "Perks."

Yep, can't have them acting like congressmen/women.

Edward Bloom

You guys are missing a key point, under the tax code gifts received are NOT income. Therefore, since the vast majority of a church's revenue are from freely given gifts, there is no "income" to tax.

====Mako Mike====
Makomania Sportfishing
Pt. Judith, RI

Not all churches and tax exempt organizations have perverts and bad people. Unfortunately some of these do. It's wrong and those bad folks have to be dealt with. But the good churches and organizations that do good work for the peole should not have to suffer because of the bad. 

Folks are talking about abortion. There are two sides to the abortion story.What does that have to do with taxing tax exempt organizations? Answer; Nada!:howdy:

AKN-2 USS Sagittarius

BE ENCOURAGING, NOT DISCOURAGING

<*((())))>< <*((())))><

I think every organization should be graded on a pyramid type scale where percentages define the tax basis. All of accumulated wealth versus actual charity, year to year. It would seperate valid not-for-profit enterprises from the extremely profitable. Theres a difference in broadcasting a message and appealing for donations. 

It's definitely not part of the Constitution.  It is part of  the Internal Revenue Code.  See section 501(c)(3).  Here's a brief summary from the IRS web site. "an organization must be organized and operated exclusively for exempt purposes set forth in section 501(c)(3), and none of its earnings may inure to any private shareholder or individual. In addition, it may not be an action organization, i.e., it may not attempt to influence legislation as a substantial part of its activities and it may not participate in any campaign activity for or against political candidates."   Frank, may have point that if donations/gifts made to one of the TV evangelical organizations were used by the leader to by extravagant houses or a jet plane or two that may be a reason to lose its tax exempt status.  I grew up Catholic and I can remember in the run-up to the 1960 election, the nuns urging us to tell our parents to vote for JFK and at Sunday mass the priest standing in the pulpit telling the congregation that as Catholics it was their duty to vote for JFK.   Much less PC back then.  Today, for example, if one of the TV evangelists endorsed a candidate on air and urged his congregation to vote for a specific candidate they could be stripped of their tax exempt status if someone was upset with it and filed a suit or complaint  base on it.  There Frank, I gave you something to work with.  But it doesn't only apply to the candidate or the issue you don't like. It works both ways.