Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fish'nmagician

Tax exempt status for Churches......

Rate this topic

81 posts in this topic

I would support removing the tax exempt status of a church based on ONE criteria.

 

X% of all money received in donations should be used for charity......

 

IMHO if a televangelist is fleecing the poor and feeble minded to buy mansions, yachts and jets, 

they should not do so on a tax free basis.

 

thoughts?

 

FWIW I think tying it to a particular issue like BETO did is stupid and dangerous.

Do good works.... tax free

live a lavish lifestyle TAXED

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 mins ago, fish'nmagician said:

I would support removing the tax exempt status of a church based on ONE criteria.

 

X% of all money received in donations should be used for charity......

 

IMHO if a televangelist is fleecing the poor and feeble minded to buy mansions, yachts and jets, 

they should not do so on a tax free basis.

 

thoughts?

 

FWIW I think tying it to a particular issue like BETO did is stupid and dangerous.

Do good works.... tax free

live a lavish lifestyle TAXED

Agree 100% Well done.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How much would you allot for running the church?  Minister, organist, choir director.....maintenance on the building and grounds, utilities, rainy day fund, money for church trips, new bibles and hymnals, etc....  Where's your line?  Who approves the budget vs tax rate?  Is there a govt entity that will oversee this?  Will it fund itself with church tax money?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 mins ago, Mummichog said:

How much would you allot for running the church?  Minister, organist, choir director.....maintenance on the building and grounds, utilities, rainy day fund, money for church trips, new bibles and hymnals, etc....  Where's your line?  Who approves the budget vs tax rate?  Is there a govt entity that will oversee this?  Will it fund itself with church tax money?

I'm making a VERY simple statement and you are asking me to write policy and tax law.

no matter what I write off the top of my head, work arounds and abuses will no doubt be possible.

 

just saying......

however you want to limit or cap a salary for the minister and rectory and upkeep, figure it out,

whatever funds are collected BEYOND that would be deemed profit,

and what you do with the profit would determine your tax status,

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 mins ago, fish'nmagician said:

I'm making a VERY simple statement and you are asking me to write policy and tax law.

no matter what I write off the top of my head, work arounds and abuses will no doubt be possible.

A very simple statement could also be seen as throwing **** against the wall to see if any sticks.  Lots of people can throw up pie-in-the-sky ideas that might make sense in theory....but never practice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 mins ago, Mummichog said:

A very simple statement could also be seen as throwing **** against the wall to see if any sticks.  Lots of people can throw up pie-in-the-sky ideas that might make sense in theory....but never practice.

very true,

it's almost like what I am doing is simply posting an idea on a message board in response to something I heard a Presidential candidate say...........

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 min ago, fish'nmagician said:

is the Tax Free Status of Churches handled in the Constitution?

or are you just making crap up?

 

I'm speechless... you don't understand why religious entities aren't taxed in the country ?

 

Seriously? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 mins ago, RiverRaider said:

 

I'm speechless... you don't understand why religious entities aren't taxed in the country ?

 

Seriously? 

you claimed I hated the Constitution for suggesting that a church should have to EARN a tax free status based on doing charitable works,

 

is the tax status of churches established in the Constitution,

or are you just making crap up,

OR

is this one of those threads where you need me to explain things to you?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.