flyangler

This is for those who cannot fathom why evangelicals and other religious folk can support Trump

Rate this topic

45 posts in this topic

Am I the only one who is amazed that certain liberals or Trump haters cannot understand why evangelicals and other faithful support Trump? I find it laughable that they cannot understand either the underlying reasons for support as well as the willingness to look past Trump’s rough moments and human foibles. I do find that those who ask the question are those who confess to having little to no faith or appear to be bereft of same. 

So two items caught my eye today, the first leading into the second. Note that this comes the day after the Dem candidates spoke on CNN’s LGBTQRSTUWXYZ forum. 

Exhibit One, for which I will not discuss the rationale, just provide what he sees as something actionable:

Beto Vows to Strip Tax-Exempt Status From Churches That Oppose Gay Marriage

Beto to Obama: Hold my beer.

Barack Obama's IRS may have targeted conservative groups for extra scrutiny, but Obama never pledged to strip tax-exempt status from organizations that disagreed with his position on an issue.

Yet on Thursday, former Rep. Beto O'Rourke (D-Texas) said he would strip tax-exempt status from any religious organization that supports traditional marriage, defined as one man and one woman. In fact, his position essentially amounts to a government preference for pro-gay marriage religious bodies that likely violates the Establishment Clause.

CNN's Don Lemon quoted O'Rourke's policy on LGBT issues, which states: "Freedom of religion is a fundamental right but it should not be used to discriminate."

"Do you think religious institutions — like colleges, churches, charities — should they lose their tax-exempt status if they oppose same-sex marriage?" Lemon asked.

"Yes," O'Rourke replied — to loud applause from the audience.

With just one word, Beto O'Rourke announced he would target every single religious institution that upholds the traditional definition of marriage. That's not just the traditional definition in Christianity, but also in Judaism, Islam, Hinduism, Buddhism, and so many other religions across time and space.

Naturally, the Democrat went on to support his extreme position.

"There can be no reward, no benefit, no tax break, for anyone, any institution, any organization in America that denies the full human rights and the full civil rights of every single one of us," O'Rourke said. "And so, as president, we are going to make that a priority. And we are going to stop those who are infringing upon the human rights of our fellow Americans."

[...]

So Beto, once again not understanding he is a loser and non-competitive, articulates in public what many liberal progressives believe but dare not say in public (just like his AR confiscation comment). 

And, at the same event, Biden said he would advocate essentially taking the same religious groups that Beto would target and add them to a type of US Government compiled “terrorist watch list”. 

Joe Biden Demands SPLC-Style Terror Watchlist to Protect LGBT People

At the CNN LGBT town hall on Thursday, former Vice President Joe Biden advocated for a kind of terror watchlist to monitor organizations that oppose same-sex marriage and transgender identity, similar to a previous Obama administration effort targeting conservatives groups. This monitoring echoed the Southern Poverty Law Center's accusations that mainstream conservative Christian organizations are "anti-LGBT hate groups" on par with the Ku Klux Klan.

When asked about how he would fight hate crimes against LGBT people, Biden advocated for three things: passing the Equality Act, monitoring groups that are similar to terrorist groups, and reinterpreting federal civil rights law to prevent discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation and gender identity — an issue currently before the Supreme Court.

Biden's second proposal should terrify conservatives and conservative Christians in particular. He essentially advocated adopting the "hate group" monitoring of the SPLC.

"What we had before to deal with hate crimes was we had a position in our administration, within both the Department of Justice as well as within Homeland Security, a provision to keep watch on these groups that we know are out there — like terrorist groups, they’re similar — that we know are out there, to be able to follow — without violating their First Amendment rights — to be able to follow what they’re doing and follow up on threats that come forward," Biden said.

And yes, if the magical guy reads down to this line, I am aiming this squarely at you since you have voiced this many many times over the past three years. 

point?

evangelicals rallied to Trump when there were dozens of Republicans in the primary to choose from,

nobody knew who beto was.

this is just deflection in an attempt of explain away the utter lie that is right wing claims of being moral and having character.

"Trump’s rough moments and human foibles"

Hahahahahahahah- you have to be kidding me.  That's the understatement of the century.   Pretty much everything that Trump stands for (and does) is in direct opposition to the teachings of Jesus.

The reality is that Evangelicals and others who profess to be religious while supporting Trump have been engaging in hypocrisy on a grand scale, and will most certainly end up in the hot place as a result (if it actually exists).

Edited by mrl

Ultra religious people, like Evangelicals, tend to live in fantasy land.  The Trump Cult thrives in fantasy.  Common sense that both cults vacation at the same resort.  

Edited by Jmat321

Classic progressive response. Don’t address the substance, attack those involved. 

Irrespective of what you think of the evangelical or other faith groups, this is what drives them. When a candidate, party or ideology says “we hate you”, don’t expect their support nor their votes. 

But thank you for making my point so clearly. 

12 mins ago, tomkaz said:

Classic progressive response. Don’t address the substance, attack those involved. 

Irrespective of what you think of the evangelical or other faith groups, this is what drives them. When a candidate, party or ideology says “we hate you”, don’t expect their support nor their votes. 

But thank you for making my point so clearly. 

Well I figure we can balance out the Evangelical vote by registering more Hispanic voters, no?  So things are fair and all.

2 mins ago, Jmat321 said:

Well I figure we can balance out the Evangelical vote by registering more Hispanic voters, no?  So things are fair and all.

1) As long as those Hispanic voters are eligible to vote, ie documented.

2) You do know that highly religious Hispanics are conservatives voters and that is what help Trump win Florida in 2016 and Scott and DeSantis to win in 2018. 

But have at it. 

7 mins ago, Mike S123 said:

Tom you must breath through a straw. Take a breath. 

Mike, we have the religion-hating magician telling us weekly that he cannot understand how evangelicals and others support Trump. He uses that observation to justify his want to vilify those of faith. I found two examples of Dem candidates essentially saying they are going to force any religious group who does not accept gay marriage to do so, “or else”. 

I am far from out of breath and am just pointing out how idiotic magical thinking can be. 

they dont support him anymore-his move with turkey with result in the deaths of christians-most of the notable evangelicals have come out against Trump as a result-Roberts said Trump lost his mandate from god

He not only dislikes religion and religious people, he is vastly uniformed about the subject.

I have seen california congress critters that know more about firearms than he knows about theology.

But yet...

3 mins ago, superstriper said:

they dont support him anymore-his move with turkey with result in the deaths of christians-most of the notable evangelicals have come out against Trump as a result-Roberts said Trump lost his mandate from god

We shall see, but what will be the alternative for them next year? 

6 mins ago, superstriper said:

Roberts is scum of the earth.

I would like to give him Frank's nazi treatment.