Sudsy

Murphy signed the access bill into law today !!

Rate this topic

38 posts in this topic

We finally have something to work with !!

The Public Access Bill codifies the Public Trust Doctrine into law. The Doctrine states that says that tidal waters are held in trust by the State for the benefit of the public. The bill confirms the public’s longstanding right to use and enjoy the state’s tidal waters and adjacent shorelines. It provides clear direction to the New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection (NJDEP) on how to create, protect and enhance public access when permitting development and approving publicly funded projects. The NJDEP is now directed to make all tidal waters and their shorelines available, protect existing public access, provide equitable access in all communities, and remove physical and other impediments to public access to the maximum extent practicable. Finally, the law makes clear that public access itself must include necessary support facilities like public parking.

Now that we have this behind us it's time to start opening up areas that have been closed, like street ends, Monmouth county parkland (after dark), towns that restrict parking....

If you know or live near a spot that's should be open but is restricted. PM me with it, please if possible take a photo of any signs,

Sounds like a big win. But I have to say I havent a clue about what this really means in real world scenarios. So for example lets say hypothetically in Deal....theres quite a few dead end streets with no parking signs...does this mean I can park there? I imagine not unless I feel like fighting tickets in court. Is that a proper assesment? 

At the moment yes, The next step that we are working on is the mechanics of how the DEP is going to enforce the new law.

That's why we need as much information on spots with limitations as possible.

Once or even if they open more fishing access we need to make sure to keep it clean. Carry in carry out. I've seen to many good spots go to **** because of the garbage, fresh or saltwater. 

2 hours ago, Sudsy said:

At the moment yes, The next step that we are working on is the mechanics of how the DEP is going to enforce the new law.

That's why we need as much information on spots with limitations as possible.

Not sure who "we" are but all I have to say is you guys are legends...and thank you !

Posted (edited) · Report post

34 mins ago, adams54 said:

Not sure who "we" are but all I have to say is you guys are legends...and thank you !

I haven't been as involved in this, involved but by far not a lead character

It's the lawyers and politically connected guys from Surfrider, the Littoral society and Baykeeper who deserve the kudos 

My involvement has been first and foremost to be sure that this did not become too focused on being a "beach" issue when the far greater problems are around the bays and rivers. 

Edited by Sudsy

3 hours ago, Mr. Bigdeal said:

probably......access is one thing, town ordinances are another...parking is always an issue unless you live there and walk.

Yup, and how will the DEP address this, what leverage can they bring to bear ??

That's the current question

2 hours ago, Sudsy said:

I haven't been as involved in this, involved but by far not a lead character

It's the lawyers and politically connected guys from Surfrider, the Littoral society and Baykeeper who deserve the kudos 

My involvement has been first and foremost to be sure that this did not become too focused on being a "beach" issue when the far greater problems are around the bays and rivers. 

About river access. How far upstream does this law effect; anywhere that is tidal? Ive been kicked out of a spot and threatened with a fine pretty far upstream, for fishing too late. The place is still tidal and always felt it was wrong that they don't allow night fishing. Eventually they put up a sign limiting the hours. I shoot you a pm about the spot and take a pick of the sign when i get a chance to go there

Well holy crapss , he actually did something/signed a bill. Nearly two years in office, and he finally went to work. POS !