flyangler

Should Democrat Party Candidates Who Are Sitting US Senators Recuse Themselves from a Senate Impeachment Trial Process and Vote?

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

Warren

Sanders

Booker

Harris

Klobuchar

Gillibrand

Should these sitting US Senators recuse themselves from any participation in a US Senate impeachment trial of President Donald Trump? 

Do Senators seeking to replace him via an election have a personal vested interest in his removal? 

Edited by tomkaz

I'm beginning to think the Dems know they are going to lose in 2020 if they run a conventional campaign.  Dragging on this "inquiry" just confuses the public (with the help of the media) and helps Biden for now.  These sitting senators won't get a chance to vote IMO, but will instead throw bombs from the sidelines, some that will inadvertently hit Biden.  All just a guess on my part. 

Does seem to me such action (voting to eject a political rival) would be exactly the thing they claim Trump did on his Ukraine call.... taking actions that benefit him personally and politically.

Idealogically yes but then you run into a feedback loop. If your excluding presidential candidates then shouldn't anyone running for higher office or reelection be excluded? Also if we look at it from a hypothetically purely partisan standpoint, democrats were elected to counter Trump and replubicans protect Trump, then not voting would be a deliriction of duty.