atlantictrader

Slammer III, Spinfisher VI, & Battle II power handle

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

Today was a day of discovery for me. I recently acquired a Slammer III 4500 and a Spinfisher VI 4500. After looking at both the handles, I was curious if the Slammer III power handle would fit the Spinfisher VI, and it does, in fit, form, and function.

Further curiousity led me to try the Slammer III power handle on my Spinfisher V 4500 and Spinfisher V 4500LL, and it doesn't fit those reels due to the handle thread count, the Slammer handle having fine thread, while the Spinfisher V handle has coarser thread. It sucks that the handle fits the Spinfisher VI series but not the V series.

Next, I tried the Slammer III power handle on my Battle II 4000, and much to my surprise, the handle fit perfectly. Why wouldn't Penn make that power handle fit the Spinfisher V series if the same handle fits the Slammer III, Spinfisher VI, and the Battle II? This would make the power handle more diversified across a broader spectrum and probably lend itself to increased sales for Penn (at $65 a pop), by people opting to add that knob style to their V series reels.

Think of the handle sales alone Penn would have if they marketed one popular handle design that fit a all their reels.

Besides the power knobs you can buy to mod your Penn reel handles, is there anyone out there that makes an after-market power handle (power knob included) that fit Penn reels?

I'm not sure if anyone make's a power knob besides the ones that are sold on flea bay. Interesting side note tho, fierce handles fit on the slammer reels. I lost the end cap on a slammer power knob in the middle of a trip. Realized they were the same thread type cause I happened to have one in my truck. Found I like the smaller kinda t shaped handle way more. If you lose that end cap for the power knob watch out. That thin walled, threaded aluminum is sharp.

Can't even find the correct power handle on that auction site that fits the Slammer III 4500 reel. Penn part number 15-SLA4500. One would think you could go to the Penn site and order parts, but not so.

Places like Mystic Reel Parts (formally Scotts) doesn't even list the part and is having staffing issues, while Buckos Bait and Tackle in MA which was my old standy for parts has been outta business since 2017.

Keep in mind, I'm looking for the WHOLE handle assembly, not just an after-market knob.

Also tried looking on Damnazon.

Edited by atlantictrader

Did the same swap (Slammer on the Spinfisher- bailess) but found that the Slammer handle made the rotor more prone to turning when casting (maybe it is heavier) causing the bailess to catch the line mid cast. Still tinkering with options.