Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Longdriver

Delaware River fish

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

So the last couple years I've been snorkeling along the Delaware and have seen more than a few large fish. Stripers, cats, bass, trout, carp.

Sometimes I'm in holes where I'd expect these fish, other times I'm in riffles or slower water and they surprise me. I see reports of big fish from the Delaware but I'd be interested to know if anyone is trophy fishing there? I'm gonna start targeting bigger fish and would like to swap ideas if anyone has anything. I guess naming spots is out but I've hooked some big cats on cut bait. I'm thinking of throwing a 7in Keitech on the regular for bass of all varieties, pike/musky. 

I think this might be better for the freshwater forum but maybe not?

Edited by Longdriver

Spring run the Delaware is good. I know of a few spots that hold some fish as the are chasing the herring up river. I dont fish it that much because they are going up river to spawn. 

58 mins ago, CKjeep84 said:

Spring run the Delaware is good. I know of a few spots that hold some fish as the are chasing the herring up river. I dont fish it that much because they are going up river to spawn. 

I always went trout fishing all spring until last year and did manage a 20 lber and a handful of 18-24" stripers, but this spring I caught zero

16 mins ago, Longdriver said:

Maybe I'm letting the cat out of the bag. The river holds resident fish. 

I think this is a known thing and you'll see big ones caught even in the summer here and there, so no worries. I have no idea for sure but I'd imagine a boat would aid in this process. I've waited and baited at night in the summer from shore and have only caught catfish.

I fish from a kayak a lot on the river. It helps. If the weather holds, I'm going try an SP (maybe silver) and replace the treble hooks with a single hook. Cut down on the profile. Maybe live line a tail hooked sunny. But you're right, bait from the bank is catfish territory. 

20 hours ago, Longdriver said:

I fish from a kayak a lot on the river. It helps. If the weather holds, I'm going try an SP (maybe silver) and replace the treble hooks with a single hook. Cut down on the profile. Maybe live line a tail hooked sunny. But you're right, bait from the bank is catfish territory. 

keep us updated on how you do. would like to start fishing it this winter for musky, smallies, and walleye