DeepBlue85

Not dying when you go fishing

Rate this topic

37 posts in this topic

I need to say a few things, after a few drinks, after a few bass and after finding out someone died on a jetty I spent the better part of my life fishing.  The crowds have changed,  but new familure faces now dedicate themselves to catching fish here.  No fish, no fishing trip and nothing remotely close is worth the value of a life.  If its fu--ing dangerous and your uncomfortable...DONT FISH.  Why and how has fishing become some test of ability, a measure of one's self-worth in many cases, hell it's why so many people can't help posting pictures on social media about how accomplished at fooling a fish that's preprogramed to respond to flashy movements.  Its not rocket science, go carve a deer bone an catch fish on that before you go putting your life at risk for a photo, or for your self.....fishing isnt that important people and one final thing.  If you plan on fishing an area that's risky, conditions that are dangerous or anything your unsure of, please do your home work, spend time respecting the ocean for its power and unpredictable nature, spend time listening to it....not other fishermen and certainly not the internet.  Understand that it takes one split second miscalculation to be neck deep and drifting deeper without so much as one last breath to scream or to hold for you're own life's sake.   Hopefully you make the right decision.....and hopefully you never have to choose,  Pardon the rant.....may he who passed tonight rest in peace, for he died a noble death.

Edited by DeepBlue85

I don't mean to be rude to the one that passed.  But we just have to respect the ocean and take precautions when fishing.  I always wear my left jacket when surf fishing, I know is uncomfortable but SAFETY come first especially fishing alone in the surf.

I always go fishing with safety as my absolute number one priority. If I somehow get hit by a wave that makes me feel uncomfortable, I get the hell out of there. I have no sympathy for people who feel invincible. That being said, I absolutely will not attempt to save anyone’s life under any circumstance if they are risking their life on a rock they know is dangerous. Everyone needs to take responsibility for their own actions and stupidity. 

I am assuming this is related to the breezy pt incident a week or so ago. Terrible thing. Has happened several times in the past at that very place. Jetty fishing is a tough game in the very best of conditions. Bad conditions are flat out a death wish. 

a very very long time ago my dad who was avid fisherman ,mentioned to me that it only takes a teaspoon of water to drown in.its something that has always been in the back of my mind when on or near the water.if you look at today generation of sports skiing mountain biking etc. they are pushing the limits of what can be done.At 65 I still want to push myself when skiing and fishing, but I make sure I know what the conditions are that I am getting into.i also know that regardless of how safe something seems to be there is a risk you are taking.and no matter how familiar you are with a place things can go wrong.

2 hours ago, redfin said:

I am assuming this is related to the breezy pt incident a week or so ago.  

Maybe, but probably not.

There was another angler lost from the Jones Beach jetty last night.

It has been a tragic season.

9 hours ago, the3fishheads said:

Feel your loss.

When your numbers up it's up.  Period. You dont get to say anything.

It's your number. And it's up.

When your foolish , your number could come up faster?

I'm getting old, I used to climb out on the rocks and get battered by waves. Now I stand on the sand. I know my limits and don't dream that I can get away with what I have in the past.

Godspeed to all that have made the fatal misjudgement.

I fished in a spot a guy died at point pleasant NJ a day later in September this year..... 

Yesterday a guy's kayak got a shark nibble...…...

Even if you're careful, fluke waves do happen though.  I know nothing about who passed, but being cautious and careful still has risks...…….

Next time you see someone walking on an all rock jetty or similar structure, consider taking the time to warn him / her that the soft stuff they are approaching is incredibly slippery.  They will invariably thank you.

Breezy Point Jetty takes somebody life  almost every year... Steep , slippery boulders becoming trap with incoming tide  especially with wind ... Last year I stopped 3 young kids trying to climb jetty  close to the point without korkers any safety gear . I walk them back to the shore . I would encourage anyone  to interfere (at least verbally ) , if you see behavior that may lead to the tragedy Some people going

insane when they see blitzing fish... Last week I try to stop guy running on the jetty it was incoming with waves overflowing jetty .

I said :" Look it's incoming  it's going to get even worse . He replied that he did this before and it's not a problem ... " I left soon after , saw him casting on the tip of the jetty. He would have to wait for outgoing to come back.. In this case you are responsible for your own life . You have been warned....

1 hour ago, CWitek said:

Maybe, but probably not.

There was another angler lost from the Jones Beach jetty last night.

It has been a tragic season.

Horrible. Any details regarding where they were fishing on the jetty? I generally avoid the end of it in calm weather, never mind during a nor'easter.