shaller

Is the G. Loomis Greenwater what I'm looking for?

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

I recently picked up a green water 7ft 6" 1/4- 1 1/14 and I have my hesitations about keeping it. I've been looking for a rod between 7.5-8ft mediumish power to throw smaller buck tails, smaller plugs, jig heads etc. I plan on using it to work sod banks in the back bay on foot. I had originally planned on picking up an avid inshore but tackle direct was out. The greenwater seemed nice and the lure weight range is incredible so I picked it up. I took a few practice casts in a field when I got home and It felt a little "off" to me. It was almost like I couldn't feel the rod loading and it felt a little "whippy". I did a little more digging and it looks like these are geared towards chucking live bait rather than artificials.

Anyone here have a greenwater and love it for tossing small plugs and artificals? Could it be just a different "feel" that im not used to and something I could grow to love? Or do you think I would be better off taking it back and getting a avid innshore or legend inshore? I would love to spend a few days with it on the water to really get a feel for it, but its still new with the tags and I don't want to throw away my chance at exchanging it. Thanks in advance. 

5 mins ago, shaller said:

I recently picked up a green water 7ft 6" 1/4- 1 1/14 and I have my hesitations about keeping it. I've been looking for a rod between 7.5-8ft mediumish power to throw smaller buck tails, smaller plugs, jig heads etc. I plan on using it to work sod banks in the back bay on foot. I had originally planned on picking up an avid inshore but tackle direct was out. The greenwater seemed nice and the lure weight range is incredible so I picked it up. I took a few practice casts in a field when I got home and It felt a little "off" to me. It was almost like I couldn't feel the rod loading and it felt a little "whippy". I did a little more digging and it looks like these are geared towards chucking live bait rather than artificials.

Anyone here have a greenwater and love it for tossing small plugs and artificals? Could it be just a different "feel" that im not used to and something I could grow to love? Or do you think I would be better off taking it back and getting a avid innshore or legend inshore? I would love to spend a few days with it on the water to really get a feel for it, but its still new with the tags and I don't want to throw away my chance at exchanging it. Thanks in advance. 

You’ll love it! That and E6X.

Hold on to it.  I have two of them and they are by far my favorite inshore rods.  So much fun to use!  You will get used to the whippy feeling.  I find it just comes with using lighter rods like that.  There is always more "recoil" after the cast and when you first pick the rod up it can feel alien.  :th:

Just now, The Salty Fisherman said:

Hold on to it.  I have two of them and they are by far my favorite inshore rods.  So much fun to use!  You will get used to the whippy feeling.  I find it just comes with using lighter rods like that.  There is always more "recoil" after the cast and when you first pick the rod up it can feel alien.  :th:

You get it!

14 mins ago, mybosox3 said:

You’ll love it! That and E6X.

Tell me more. I guess I'm trying to figure out why it felt off to me. I used to St. Croixs. Tidemaster, Mojo Surf, Premier etc. They all feel pretty similar to me but the greenwater felt vastly different. Oh ya, the cheap plastic butt end and the old style guides kind of bother me too. 

3 mins ago, The Salty Fisherman said:

It just felt vastly different than the lighter st croixs I have. 

2 mins ago, shaller said:

It just felt vastly different than the lighter st croixs I have. 

Who knows, maybe the rod blank is screwed up or you got a defective one... Always a chance.  I have the 7'0'' model spinning rod paired up with a 3000 Stradic Ci4+ and it is a sick combo.  Maybe you just need to go down a size? Good luck, let us know ho you make out.  

It’s a perfect rod for throwing light lures in the ~1 oz or so range sod bank fishing or otherwise. Used it to pitch rapalas to schoolies on Dan Shafer’s boat. He uses them also for Sheepshead and tog, so they have plenty of backbone. 

Pairs beautifully with a Stradic 3000. Probably work well with a similar class Ballistic or Clash. 

good luck

8 hours ago, The Salty Fisherman said:

Who knows, maybe the rod blank is screwed up or you got a defective one... Always a chance.  I have the 7'0'' model spinning rod paired up with a 3000 Stradic Ci4+ and it is a sick combo.  Maybe you just need to go down a size? Good luck, let us know ho you make out.  

Definitely not screwed up. I was only throwing about 3/8 oz so despite the lure rating maybe it prefers 1/2 and above? They do make a lighter version so that could be an option too. I will keep you posted. Need to make a decision soon.  

I had the same greenwater and ended up selling it. Was to whippy feeling to me and was an issue with hook sets. I sold it now I use a MF St.croix Legend trek and Mod- H Gloomis E6X. Love both rods.

Edited by cec127

I've had two of them for years.  My go to rods for back bay stripers, even tog and sheepshead.  Topwater baits, jigheads with tails, etc.  I use a 2500 size reel with 10 lb braid.  20 lb. leader. 

I had the GWR930S and I never really loved it.. couldnt put my finger on what it was but it just didnt make it into regular use... so i sold it and got the NRX inshore.  Very different rod.. love it.   Also have the avid inshore which is, IMO, one of the best rods st. Croix ever made..

1 hour ago, GreenMachine said:

dont leave out the Avid inshore or the TFO Inshore  great rod for money..i have a greenwater 7ft and i love it

I actually went in to buy the avid but walked out with the loomis since they were out of stock.