mrl

First Perry, now Rudy?

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

First Rick Perry gets thrown under the bus, and now it's looking like it's Rudy's time, courtesy of Mr. "The Buck Never Stops Anywhere Remotely Near Me"

In case you haven't seen it, four guys were just indicted on charges of trying to funnel foreign money into GOP election campaigns, including two guys who were Guliani's business partners in the Ukraine-  two guys who were arrested trying to fly out of the US on one way tickets.

And Trump's response?  "I don't know those guys".  Despite pix of himself with two of them.

Then this, which demonstrates as much loyalty as he showed to the Kurds:

Asked by a reporter about the possibility of Giuliani being indicted as well, the president said he hoped that wouldn't happen but again claimed total ignorance of the Giuliani associates and the indictments, which he said he has not discussed with Giuliani.

“Well, I hope not,” Trump said. “I just don’t know, I haven’t spoken to Rudy about it. I will say this, is from what I heard, I just heard about this they said we have nothing to do with it.”

Does the guy know anyone who isn't corrupt?

Edited by mrl

Straight from the indictment:

"LEV PARNAS, IGOR FRUMAN , DAVID CORREIA , and ANDREY KUKUSHKIN , the defendants, conspired to circumvent the federal laws against foreign influence by engaging in a scheme to funnel foreign money to candidates for federal and State office so that the defendants could buy potential influence with candidates, campaigns, and the candidates' governments."

And the biggest coincidence?  Their lawyer is John M. Dowd, former chief defense attorney for President Donald J. Trump.

The four-count indictment, filed in the Southern District of New York and unsealed Thursday, includes charges of conspiracy, making false statements to the Federal Election Commission and falsification of records. The documents allege an elaborate scheme to help an unnamed Ukrainian government official and a person who is described as having "Russian roots" gain access to U.S. politicians and government officials through campaign contributions in order to advance business and personal financial interests.

"This investigation is about corrupt behavior," William Sweeney, a top official in the FBI's New York office said at a Thursday press conference. "Deliberate law breaking."

At that press conference, investigators said the probe was ongoing. Parnas and Fruman face up to 35 years in prison should they be convicted and receive the maximum sentence on the four counts they were charged with.

The indictment also details a push by Parnas and Fruman to oust then-U.S. Ambassador to Ukraine Marie Yovanovitch, whom Trump recalled from her post earlier this year. The indictment alleges that Parnas met with a congressman identified in the charging document as "Congressman-1" in mid-2018 to get assistance in the effort.

According to the document, the efforts to oust Yovanovitch were at least partially on behalf of an unnamed Ukrainian official.

Multiple senior U.S. law enforcement officials told NBC News that "Congressman-1" is former Rep. Pete Sessions, R-Texas. The two men committed to raising $20,000 for the then-lawmaker, the indictment alleged.

Sessions lost his re-election bid last year. While he was still in office, Sessions wrote a "private" letter in May 2018 to Secretary of State Mike Pompeo about Yovanovitch, he confirmed to NBC Dallas/Fort Worth's "Lone Star Politics" show last week.

The Associated Press and the Journal previously reported that Sessions' lettter, a copy of which was obtained by NBC News Thursday, asked for Yovanovitch to be removed.

The letter, written on congressional letterhead and date May 9, 2018, was addressed directly to Pompeo. The short, three-paragraph missive asks Pompeo to "consider terminating her ambassadorship and find a replacement as soon as possible" because, Sessions wrote, he had received "concrete evidence from two close companions that Ambassador Yovanovitch has spoken privately and repeatedly about her disdain for the current Administration in a way that might call for the expulsion of Ms. Yovanovitch as U.S. Ambassador to Ukraine immediately."

Federal Election Commission records show Parnas and Fruman made many political contributions in recent years.

Beginning late in the 2016 cycle, Parnas made a $50,000 contribution to Trump Victory, sent more than $33,400 to the Republican National Committee, and sent maximum donations to Trump, Sessions, and now-House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy.  Parnas made donations to Sessions and McCarthy during the 2018 cycle.

For Fruman, FEC records show he made substantial donations to Sessions, Sen. Rick Scott, R-Fla, during his 2018 Senate bid, Sessions, Rep. Joe Wilson, R-S.C., and Trump.

Edited by mrl

"You should ask (insert name) about that"...the most dreaded words a Trump appointee or acquaintance can hear. He's been saying it a lot.