Jomi

Wet flies for fall in New England

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

Putting together a last minute trip to a stream in coastal New Hampshire for trout. Any one have any thoughts on wet fly patterns ???? New to the area still and have yet to expirement .

thanks

Jomi,

Start by figuring out what will be hatching in that area when you'll be fishing. For example, right now in CT we have lots of tiny BWOs, caddis, Isonychia, and midges. Matching the general size, color, and profile of the naturals is sound strategy. If you're looking for pattern ideas, you'll find dozens of wet flies and soft hackles on my website. Hope that helps!

Steve Culton

P.S. I took this 20" Housatonic brown this week on a size 12 Squirrel and Ginger (caddis).

BigHousyBrown2.jpeg.0642c4244af350a7049991b03078a5ef.jpeg

I've had very good success up in that area with size 14-16 partridge and peacock wets. 

What The Fisherman said above is great advice. 

Edited by Phil K

I would bet my best hat that North country spider patterns would work almost anywhere when fished wet and tied very sparsely. Sometimes shop patterns are a little,over dressed.

They do fish very well cast as a team of three fished upstream and dead drifted.

Even better if indicators are avoided. Great in thin water, glides and bubbly runs.. Think Jock Scott. Well if you are old enough or young and well read.

mike

23 mins ago, Mike Oliver said:

I would bet my best hat that North country spider patterns would work almost anywhere when fished wet and tied very sparsely.

You betcha! November steelhead on a Snipe and Purple, anyone?

14947790_10154685285995902_697677077793262873_n.jpeg.185d2907d08ef873d4da125332d1ece6.jpeg

Steve Culton

Good fish Steve. Snipe and purple one of my all time favourites. The other one which strictly speaking is not a spider pattern is a Greenwells Glory tied  without a wing just a soft hackle.

One day I will get back to my Trout roots and fish those traditional wet flies including those which have wings in wild Welsh Rivers. Wickams Fancy, Butcher, Bloody Butcher, soldier Palmer, Peter Ross, Teal and silver. Cochy Bondu, Mallard and Claret plus Greenwells Glory.

Be nice to do it for real with a split cane rod and a silk line and a wicker basket or a canvas side bag. Plus fours and a wax jacket. Whiskey Flask.

mike

4 hours ago, Mike Oliver said:

Good fish Steve. Snipe and purple one of my all time favourites. The other one which strictly speaking is not a spider pattern is a Greenwells Glory tied  without a wing just a soft hackle.

One day I will get back to my Trout roots and fish those traditional wet flies including those which have wings in wild Welsh Rivers. Wickams Fancy, Butcher, Bloody Butcher, soldier Palmer, Peter Ross, Teal and silver. Cochy Bondu, Mallard and Claret plus Greenwells Glory.

Be nice to do it for real with a split cane rod and a silk line and a wicker basket or a canvas side bag. Plus fours and a wax jacket. Whiskey Flask.

mike

Don't forget the tea :)

4 hours ago, Mike Oliver said:

mike

Nail on head. The Greewells Spider - tied nice and long - is about my favorite fly for Highland brownies, especially in a nice wave. On the rivers I like a Black Spider, and Alder or any of the Partridge & yellow/orange designs. The Greenwell's Glory is as fishy a fly as ever existed. Love the others you've mentioned Mike. Takes me right back to the rivers of my youth around Edinburgh, and parts north.

Jon

In my youth I used to declare as you did that if I was only able to fish one fly it would be the Greenwells Glory. Dry or wet.

I was surprised at how hard it was to recall the names of those old classics. There were more commonly fished some fifty years ago but my memory is failing me now.

Do you remember the excitement of going into an old proper game tackle shop and the shop assistant would put a tray  onto the top counter and in the small dividers there would be be so many patterns. Our pocket money might run to five flies. Agonising choices were made. The flies purchased placed in a small brown envelope later to be transferred to a battered pipe tobacco tin. If you were lucky you might have a dozen flies in total. We never had enough money to buy casts tied up ready to fish with a selection of wet flies on. Wanted to chose our own anyway.

I am really tempted to fish a team of these classic wets  on my large lakes and fish them static or inched figure of eight like I would  Buzzers and see what happens..

Old magic.

Do you ever yearn to come back.

Mike

Edited by Mike Oliver

On 10/13/2019 at 5:49 PM, Mike Oliver said:

Jon

Do you ever yearn to come back.

Mike

....About once a week, Mike! The UK will always be home. I've been in CT for 14 years now, but still feel like a guest here, and that's not all bad. I live a stone's throw from stripers and we have a small stream at the back of the house which is worth the occasional cast. Two excellent trout rivers are a one hour drive away.

I'm glad I learned fishing in Scotland though (and to rough shoot, which I did on various farms in the Kinross basin.) I was one lucky kid. Summers were spent worming or spinning on Edinburgh's River Almond. Before long I graduated to fly fishing Loch Leven (when it was still really good) and the Highlands for numerous wild brown trout. That's where I learned about loch style fishing, which to me is the best it gets. Drifting the peaty Assynt lochs on a windy evening, a team of 2 or 3 flies dancing across the surface for uninhibited wild browns... There's just nothing better. I swear a half pound Highland brown fights like a fish 3 or 4 times its weight. We also fished local estuaries for plentiful sea-tout in those days. They're long gone I think, which is very sad. 

The flies where traditional ones that were handed on by various fathers. All the Butchers, Solider Palmer, Kate McClaren, Loch Ordie, Bibio, Alder, Invicta, Alexandra, Burleigh Bob, Wickhams Fancy, Teal, Blue & Sliver, Grouse (or Mallard) & Claret, Black Pennell, Zulu, Dunkeld (what a fly!), Blae & Black - it feels like these names are a true part of my childhood, taking on more meaning than I ever knew back then.

5da4b67e5e27e_ScreenShot2019-10-14at1_54_38PM.png.ca4848bc6af54c25e2df281e269ce024.png

If there's a better looking fly than the Greenwell's Glory, I never met her.

You've reminded me of the exact experience I had in the Edinburgh tackle stores. I remember going into John Dicksons on Fredrick Street as a 15 year old. What a place it was. A real hunting and fishing shop. Full of old men and that old Barbor smell. The old gents that worked there didn't much case for us kids with our loose change! Reluctantly the trays would come out from behind the counter and endless fly selections would light up our eyes. The store stopped selling fishing gear and now just has fancy clothes, probably killed by internet sales. 

I do miss the Daily Telegraph, the London Times, real sausages and of course a decent pint!

Jonny

Edited by Silver Stoat