Greg Pomper

Black coloring in black fish fillets

Rate this topic

57 posts in this topic

Curious to know if anyone has seen this in black Fish two out of three black fish that I have kept in the last month from the point Pleasant canal have contained black coloring all the way through the tissue of the fillets

I've heard all sorts of guesses...but non of them made sense to me and I've never pursued any kind of authoritative answer. It's not just those blackfish, lots of blackfish have it. It's harmless, doesn't change the flavor. Some folks have suggested it's the result of eating mussels - I'm not buying that because there's no route for pieces of mussel shells to get into the meat through the digestive system.

I'm hoping someone here knows :th:

TimS

13 mins ago, Tom T said:

I only heard the mussel thing.  :shrug: 

It's the only thing I've ever heard...but there's no physical mechanism for the shells to get into their meat, homogeneously distributed throughout the meat. If it was digested mussel it would be yellow :read:

TimS 

6 mins ago, crazybellringer said:

it happens when a crab shell ruptures their intestine.  It's definitely tog poop in the filet. 

Zero chance this is true :wave:

TimS

I always heard the same that it was the coloration from mussel shells. I understand what Tim is saying, but that's what I have always heard.

The mussel thing comes from NOAA Technical Memorandum NMFS-NE-118, Tautog Life History And Habitat Requirements, 1999.

On page 14.

9 mins ago, TimS said:

It's the only thing I've ever heard...but there's no physical mechanism for the shells to get into their meat, homogeneously distributed throughout the meat. If it was digested mussel it would be yellow :read:

TimS 

Yellow if it were digested mussel meat.  But there must be some shell coloration/pigment that can be broken down in the digestive process and absorbed :shrug:

7 mins ago, Slacker said:

The mussel thing comes from NOAA Technical Memorandum NMFS-NE-118, Tautog Life History And Habitat Requirements, 1999.

On page 14.

A gentleman would have pasted the relevant content from the referenced paper:

“Tautog have been reported with small black spots within their muscle tissue. Microscopic examination found that these spots were actually associated with blood vessels, not the muscle tissue itself (I. Sunila, pers. comm.7). These spots were found to be deposits of dark pigment surrounded by fibrosis. This pigment originates from their high use of blue mussels as prey. These spots are consid- ered harmless to the fish and to consumers.”

My post above, while purely intuitive, was spot on.

2 mins ago, PeterO said:

A gentleman would have pasted the relevant content from the referenced paper:

“Tautog have been reported with small black spots within their muscle tissue. Microscopic examination found that these spots were actually associated with blood vessels, not the muscle tissue itself (I. Sunila, pers. comm.7). These spots were found to be deposits of dark pigment surrounded by fibrosis. This pigment originates from their high use of blue mussels as prey. These spots are consid- ered harmless to the fish and to consumers.”

My post above, while purely intuitive, was spot on.

People learn it, if they earn it. Fo shizzle.

10 mins ago, Slacker said:

People learn it, if they earn it. Fo shizzle.

school·marm
/ˈsko͞olˌmä(r)m/
noun
NORTH AMERICAN
  1. a schoolmistress (typically used with reference to a woman regarded as prim, strict, and brisk in manner).

5AED639B-C9D4-4E38-A967-881AFF3A35EB.jpeg.ed4c0cd6cc2afdd964c03574229dab27.jpeg

2 mins ago, PeterO said:
school·marm
/ˈsko͞olˌmä(r)m/
noun
NORTH AMERICAN
  1. a schoolmistress (typically used with reference to a woman regarded as prim, strict, and brisk in manner).

5AED639B-C9D4-4E38-A967-881AFF3A35EB.jpeg.ed4c0cd6cc2afdd964c03574229dab27.jpeg

Get back on your stool in the corner and put on that pointed hat.