Fishing in Oman, who's been? Need tips.

Rate this topic

AKotoun

Got a work trip to Mustcat, Oman coming up the first week of November and there are some chances to sneak in some fishing. Seems as if GT are in season and obviously that would be amazing. Seems like they have bluefish as well.

Has anyone been there? Any tips? 

I can't bring a rod but can bring a VS 250. 

What striper plugs work for GT as well?

Thanks in advance,

Anthony

If you’re going to take a trip to a destination that is world renowned for being home to some of the biggest GTs on the planet, you definitely owe it to yourself to be geared appropriately. I’ve been lucky enough to have conversations with guys like Ed Nicholas from NBO, Nick from Ocean Active, Sami from SWT, Mark Harris and various other Jig & Pop pioneers for trophy GTs.....and I can promise you that every single one of them would say you’re bringing a plastic butter knife to a gun fight with the VS250. . 

I’m not trying to put the the VSX250 down, but it has a max drag in the neighborhood of 15 pounds fully locked instead of the listed 40+ pounds, nowhere near the listed line capacity, slow retrieve, and manual line pickup, I frankly wouldn’t feel comfortable using it for even 15kg GTs.

If you really wanted the best bang for your buck, in my opinion, the Penn Slammer III 8500HS is a 40kg GT capable reel. 

In terms of what striper lures will hold up to GTs, it’s tough to say. Plenty of GTs have been caught on lures with 1.6mm Thru wire (Carpenter for example), but with the modern day spinning equipment advances most of these companies producing GT lures are using between 2 - 2.4mm through wire.

If it were me, and I knew that I wasn’t readily equipped to target these fish, I wouldn’t even try. I talked to Jason from Siren Lures about his Oman trip. He used a Racepoint 300 rod, 18000 Stella with 20000 spool, 130lb JB hollow mainline, and 300lb Momoi Xtra hard mono designed for massive billfish and still got dusted several times. 

The amazing thing about Oman, and often commonly overlooked aspect is the incredible inshore fishing for bluefish, emperor, bream, pompano, Amberjacks, queenfish, longtail tuna, job fish etc. I’d target those until you’re equipment is up to the task.

I fished Oman with NoBoundaries three times. I don't think there is any operations except NoBoundaries for targeting big GT out of southern Oman. You have to run 40miles to fishing spots from the shore. I doubt they have spot available if you go in Nov this year. They target monster GT and your chances aren't great even you fish 6 days.

Edited by ksong