SouthCoastSurfFishermen

Do you prefer Hard Blows or Cool / Calm Moderately Temperate Fall Days

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

If Santa was real I’d wish for these conditions on a weekend to weekend basis. When everyone groans and b*itches about the weather I’m the odd duckling in the back grinning from ear to ear as I devise an attack strategy in conjunction to the conditions at hand. 

If i had all day to play in the suds then i would prefer the hard blows.  Can only get out 2 or so times a week due to other priorities, so the calm days let me know more what to expect.  But still like the thrill of the hard blows, just a bit tougher after dark.  But reality is, I love to fish so i fish when i can and will take whatever mother nature throws at me.

On the water, I prefer the front end of a blow. On land, I take whatever I can get.

> within reason...(¬_¬)

Edited by rst3

Although NE blows can’t be very good, they do shut down a lot of productive shoreline for days and nights. This present storm is perfect example. If I had my choice I would take temperate fall conditions with a lot of SW wind. This makes it a lot easier to find fish. 

Edited by VanStaalSteve

9 mins ago, VanStaalSteve said:

Although NE blows can’t be very good, they do shut down a lot of productive shoreline for days and nights. This present storm is perfect example. If I had my choice I would take temperate fall conditions with a lot of SW wind. 

I agree Steve. And because i can’t get time off from work to fish these past days, i’m sure i’ll be screwed for the weekend with unfishable conditions. I’ll take temperate fall conditions also.

1 min ago, Mack26 said:

I agree Steve. And because i can’t get time off from work to fish these past days, i’m sure i’ll be screwed for the weekend with unfishable conditions. I’ll take temperate fall conditions also.

Yes, being available to fish any day at any time is a big plus. Plus, living near the shoreline isn’t too bad either. I’m retired and I can’t fish every single day and night. Life is complicated and busy even being older and not working. No worries, just put in the time you can and you’ll catch. 

4 mins ago, VanStaalSteve said:

Yes, being available to fish any day at any time is a big plus. Plus, living near the shoreline isn’t too bad either. I’m retired and I can’t fish every single day and night. Life is complicated and busy even being older and not working. No worries, just put in the time you can and you’ll catch. 

It absolutely kills me to hear all this incredible fishing going on, and not be able to cash in on it. I’m 1 1/2 hrs from the water, and it’s not easy to just break away and catch a tide at the drop of a hat. I’m jealous of you guys so close to water.

I’m gonna see what things look like Sat night, and hope i can find some clean water, but I have a feeling another 36 hrs of sustained 35-40+winds is probably going to really shut things down. Maybe not.

With a short window left to the season, i’ll be searching somewhere for some fish.

2 mins ago, Mack26 said:

It absolutely kills me to hear all this incredible fishing going on, and not be able to cash in on it. I’m 1 1/2 hrs from the water, and it’s not easy to just break away and catch a tide at the drop of a hat. I’m jealous of you guys so close to water.

I’m gonna see what things look like Sat night, and hope i can find some clean water, but I have a feeling another 36 hrs of sustained 35-40+winds is probably going to really shut things down. Maybe not.

With a short window left to the season, i’ll be searching somewhere for some fish.

It kills me too but there were lots of fish around right before this storm and there will be lots after it.  We still have several weeks left of good fishing. Hang in there. 

6 hours ago, Mack26 said:

6 hours ago, VanStaalSteve said:

It kills me too but there were lots of fish around right before this storm and there will be lots after it.  We still have several weeks left of good fishing. Hang in there. 

Water has been mildy dirty to effectively throw any sort of swimming plugs but yesterday after having fish on every cast if not every other cast from 11am-5-5:30pm; a friend and myself felt the need to launch an SP out in the suds to see how dirty the water actually was on a SW facing rocky shoreline (wind to our back) and first casts resulted in fish; me being me I hate dealing with trebles so I took my swimmer off and tossed the bucktail back on and continued catching one after another. So as long as you can find a stretch of shoreline with the wind to your back, moving water, and plenty of white wash you'll find fish.  There is so many 3-4" peanuts being gobbled up that they aren't very picky in terms of presentation. 

How's the bay outlook post storm?

Hoping this blow doesn't push EVERYTHING out, there has been so much bait and fish I'm hopeful. Mid bay outflows have still been producing through last weekend. Haven't been out this week yet.

5 mins ago, warwick slums said:

How's the bay outlook post storm?

Hoping this blow doesn't push EVERYTHING out, there has been so much bait and fish I'm hopeful. Mid bay outflows have still been producing through last weekend. Haven't been out this week yet.

If all the masses of bait didn't get surged out into and along the open waterfront areas then fish should still be found. But by the amount of fish and peanuts out front right now it may be grim.