Captflats

Garmin 7610 SXVTouch screen

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

I've had this unit for 4 years and the touchscreen has been decent to me, most of the time, until last weekend.  I have a 23 JB, no T-top and got caught in a full blown squall and my GPS glitched out due to the rain hitting the screen.  It took my screen to displays I've never seen before and would not allow me to get back to the nav.  It was some scary stuff, although not out far but 30knt winds and zero vis rendered me helpless in trying to run parallel to shore with sandbars, rocks etc.  I want to mount a redundant unit in the 5-7" size that isn't touch screen.  Any suggestions as it's not very clear on their website as to what's compatible with my unit or how to do it.  Not even sure where i'd mount it, would be great to have a portable one, or on a swivel, that when fishing the guy up front could see the screen for water temp, depth and sonar.  Thoughts or suggestions appreciated.

Tackle Direct(and maybe others) has the lowrance hook 7 for 400$ and then you get a 100$ rebate. Theres buttons on the unit, not sure if its also touchscreen or not. Just got the ad so giving a heads up

I'm pretty sure there is likely a touch screen lock on your Garmin, there is one on our Simrads. If you're sold on the second display you should get a networkable Garmin unit and mount it on a NavPod PowerPod or similar.

On 10/10/2019 at 0:48 PM, Captflats said:

I've had this unit for 4 years and the touchscreen has been decent to me, most of the time, until last weekend.  I have a 23 JB, no T-top and got caught in a full blown squall and my GPS glitched out due to the rain hitting the screen.  It took my screen to displays I've never seen before and would not allow me to get back to the nav.  It was some scary stuff, although not out far but 30knt winds and zero vis rendered me helpless in trying to run parallel to shore with sandbars, rocks etc.  I want to mount a redundant unit in the 5-7" size that isn't touch screen.  Any suggestions as it's not very clear on their website as to what's compatible with my unit or how to do it.  Not even sure where i'd mount it, would be great to have a portable one, or on a swivel, that when fishing the guy up front could see the screen for water temp, depth and sonar.  Thoughts or suggestions appreciated.

I'd get a T-Top and another XSV.  Any machine can fail regardless of button types.

With no T- top - - Look up Powers Boatworks.  They are well known for building custom electronics boxes primarily for Contenders, don't see why they could not do one for a JB. Very few pieces of electronics are designed to withstand that much long term exposure to rain and salt.  Leaving it exposed is just asking for another failure.  The box would protect all of your electronics which are all bound to fail prematurely being that exposed.

I would not add a junky $400 piece of electronics on a swivel that you will never use onto a what $75,000 boat?   penny wise and pound foolish.

Do it right and you will get it back on resale.

On 10/31/2019 at 1:53 PM, Cpalms said:

I'd get a T-Top and another XSV.  Any machine can fail regardless of button types.

With no T- top - - Look up Powers Boatworks.  They are well known for building custom electronics boxes primarily for Contenders, don't see why they could not do one for a JB. Very few pieces of electronics are designed to withstand that much long term exposure to rain and salt.  Leaving it exposed is just asking for another failure.  The box would protect all of your electronics which are all bound to fail prematurely being that exposed.

I would not add a junky $400 piece of electronics on a swivel that you will never use onto a what $75,000 boat?   penny wise and pound foolish.

Do it right and you will get it back on resale.

Good advise here. Yes Chris powers does beautiful CNC starboard work. He already makes the electronics cabinets for Donnie so that should be easy 

Personally I had touch screen units on a boat like 5 boats ago. I didn’t like them at all. I went back to the XSV Units Keyed. The processor in touchscreens is slower. Trying to operate a touch screen when running rough is difficult. I’m sticking with keyed units on the boat coming this next spring as well. I can’t see going back to TS again. Have had several friends do the same for th same reasons