dbjpb

great white shark encounter with kayak

21 posts in this topic

It sounds like they paddled about 2 miles out when the attack happened. I  guess they had their heads on a swivel for the paddle back ? 

It appears  that a roto molded hull works well for shark bites. Not so sure my thermo formed hull would perform as well. I suspect it would shatter  and or crack?

i dont think i would ever recover from something like that.  one time a long time ago in another lifetime i had a really fast yamaha r6.  nice and blue, not even the r1 but plenty of power.  i wrecked it and never got back on a motorcycle ever again.  kind of like that.

Encounters like this prove that sharks really aren't looking to eat people. The shark took an exploratory bite because it really wasn't sure what this strange looking thing was. It sunk its teeth into the kayak, realized it wasn't food, swam away and never returned.  If it really wanted to, it could have ripped the kayak to pieces. However, there is something to be learned from this. When fishing waters where sharks are present, it is not a good idea to "side saddle" while fishing. Best to keep your feet in the kayak, because a bite, whether "exploratory" or not could have a much worse outcome.

10 hours ago, dbjpb said:

It appears  that a roto molded hull works well for shark bites. Not so sure my thermo formed hull would perform as well. I suspect it would shatter  and or crack?

Should be easy to find out, just fish Monomoy at dawn or dusk, and bark a lot.

On 10/10/2019 at 1:18 PM, dannyplug1 said:

I saw it on the news.  They pulled two beautiful teeth out of the hull.  Real white shark teeth must be worth a fortune.  But I sure don't want to get any in my kayak.

Wonder if that's covered under the Hobie warranty  ... :rav: