3Beard

Lexa 400 rotted magnet?

Rate this topic

41 posts in this topic

I've been using the Lexa 300's extensively for Fluke/inshore for a few season with great results.. picked up a 400 (400PWR-P)  last year to use for blackfish and deepwater fluking..used the reel only a handful of times.. ...the last trip to the Nantucket shoals where it performed admirably..next time out with it a couple weeks later, I  noticed a terrible binding/roughness when both cranking and in freespool...I mentioned it to a buddy who reported a similar issue with his 400.. and he found it to be the cast-control magnet had corroded and failed.. sure enough, when i took down the sideplate,  I found the magnet totally rotted and crumbling..Now I'm pretty religious about washing my gear down with soap/water after every trip.. albeit, this one due to it's relative newness had never been totally taken down for cleaning..  The funny thing here is this reel was barely used, and every other metal part on it is absolutely pristine.. and there is no sign of any water/salt intrusion at all.. Also, after panic-checking my 300's I find the magnets and everything inside still in perfect condition..even after 4x-5x more use than the 400..  At any rate, as I always have the magnetic control set to "off" anyway,  I just removed what was left of the magnet, and the reels fishes fine without it 

But it looks to me like this was a case of electrolysis/galvanic corrosion caused by dissimilar metals,  rather than normal saltwater intrusion...Seeing  as my buddy reported the exact same issue with his 400, I'm wondering if anyone else had seen this with the 400's??  Maybe a case of a bad batch of magnets or a bad mix of metals causing electrolysis?  

20191009_123742.jpg

Yes!

I'm not the only one!  I have the same picture of mine.

I disassembled the handle side because it was grinding, but it was relatively clean.  Reassembled and it's grinding again.  Took off the magnet sideplate and it looked like your picture, plus the spool is ruined.

I haven't contacted Daiwa yet.  Ive never seen a magnet corrode before.

Oh man I’ve recently bought one as well, has about 5 trips out to some inlets, and have felt it getting rough when turning the last time I was out, but when fishing I don’t feel it as much. I haven’t opened it up yet. 

My reel. No issues with the other side of the reel. 

Except that the reel doesn't usually engage after free spool. I've had that issue with all my Lexa reels

20190914_182000.jpg

15 mins ago, Slappy said:

My reel. No issues with the other side of the reel. 

Except that the reel doesn't usually engage after free spool. I've had that issue with all my Lexa reels

20190914_182000.jpg

never had any problems out of mine at all.

I also did take the advice from Scooby,I think it was by using the alan tani pretrip as preventative maintenance.

so far they have been solid.

mag is on 1 or 2 and it is as smooth as silk drawers on a long legged redhead.

the 2 I have are 400-HD-HS-P.

as for engagement of the spool,that has been totally normal as well.

HH

Edited by Heavy Hooksetter

I have generally liked my Lexa 300 and 400 reels.  The poor engaging is disappointing and happens on my new out of the box reel as well as my more used reels, you can engage by pushing the thumb bar up.  Cleaning the reel didn't help.

the drag has been good and I've taken a good number of big bass on those reels with no issues.

only 1 of my 4 lexas has the corroded magnet problem.

Centrifugal brakes are nice.

Diawa came out with new Lexas, I suppose this was in answer to the issues some of you guys are experiancing.

Never had issues with my Lexa HDs, but glad I moved on from them before I did have issues.