BoLin

What Size Diawa BG Do I Need?

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

Back in the spring I started a thread about needing a new moderately priced reel for my (65 yr old) wife to use as she's taken an interest in surf fishing. She's been using an old Shimano 500S and the time has definitely come for an upgrade.  Back then a lot of replies suggested a Diawa BG.

She's been using an old 9' Tica TC2 Med Heavy (and that needs to change too) so for now a new BG is going on that rod.  Occasionally it will probably also go on a Lami XS 101 MS.  My Q to you knowledgeable folks is what size BG is gonna work well on the Tica and maybe the Lami now and then?

Thx in advance for any and all input.

5 mins ago, BoLin said:

For line probably 30# PP unless someone with BG experience has another suggestion.

I would do 20 lb.  Better casting distance.  I have a 3000 size on an 8' St. Croix pole and it is awesome.  One of my favorite and very versatile combo's

If you are going with 20PP I would do 3000. The handle is smaller and the reel feels "smaller". If you are doing over 20PP and don't mind a big handle the 4000 is the same size as the 3500 but has a bigger spool and looks a little more proportionate.

1500 smallest body small paddle handle

2000 - 2500 share the same body , the 2500 has a bigger rotor/spool and larger t-handle 

3000 is a one off size, parts don't interchange with the 2500 or 3500, has the same handle as the 2500

3500 and 4000 has the same parts except the rotor/spool is bigger on the 4000, same size handle as the 2500/3000 but bigger knob

1500-3000 handles interchange, I have 2000 handles on the 2500. The 2500 stock handles are too big for that reel.

Faithless - thx for that info.

I'm more familiar with Shimano sizes for my lighter tackle stuff - Sahara and Stradic.  From my little online research it seems that the BG's run bigger for the same number.  For example I have a Sahara 4000 that seems rather puny even on a 9' rod.  Yet it sounds like y'all think a 4000 would maybe be a little big.  Am I missing something?

They do run bigger.

I just bought a 3500 and it's the same. or maybe a little bigger than my Stradic 5000, and the BG's are noticeably heavier too.

But, I think it's a nice smooth reel that casts well, and has a good drag, for about half of what the Stradic costs.

Headed to MTK, from MD, next week. (Don't get excited, trip and reservations were planned for months. No report chasing here.)  I'll see if I can find a store on the way out that has both a 3500 and 4000 in stock so she can put her hands on them to compare.

I've been fishing a Penn 700 and a 704Z forever so I tend to think big.  My guess is she'll go for the 3500 and, if so, maybe we'll spool it with 20#.

A 4000 with 30lb braid. Just remember its not at all sealed. They do not like water.  For another $50, maybe look into the spinfisher vi. At least its sealed