Recruitkim

Long island and NYC surf fishermen, what do you wear for the fall season?

Rate this topic

64 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Been fishing for about 5 years now and just starting to really explore surf fishing, so the advice is much appreciated. Thanks. 

I'll start.

Top: designer coat, fleece, shirt, extra thermal if necessary. 

Bottom: Waders, sweatpants, maybe shorts or thermals if extra warmth is needed. 

Weather dependent: sun glasses, cheap poncho, regular gloves. 

What do you typically wear? Also, based on my setup should I get any specific gear or brands? Ie grundens rain top etc. Neoprene tops for the winter?

Edited by Recruitkim

I'll throw my 2 cents in here.

Let's say it's not raining and you're not in the wash with your rod/reel where you expect to get splashed. 

Top: Fleece, synthetic shirt, synthetic or wool thermal is OK. There are better things than cotton based thermals. Cotton doesn't insulate when wet. Also, a designer coat?

Bottom: NO SWEATS. Fleece pants, thermals. Same as above for the thermals. Waders.

If you intend to get wet/it's raining, you should either get an actual rain jacket that goes over your waders. Lose the poncho. What you buy depends on your budget, but make sure it's waterproof. If you want to do it properly, a dry top, such as one from Guy Cotten or Stormr, is the best option for a dry and warm top piece. It will keep wind out, water out, and you warm. They aren't cheap, but you can buy one for under $200. Consider it a piece of equipment, no different than your rod/reel.

I like a fleece beanie when it's cold. Gloves from Sealskinz and Simms are good. If you're not getting wet, stick with fleece. 

Thanks man. I admit my setup needs improvement and I appreciate all the information I've been collecting from you guys over the last few weeks. I just have a habit of over preparing and buying too much junk from Amazon. 

I agree with all the points you made. 

Prada makes nice fishing boots,

Gucci just put on the market surfing bag and Armani is coming out with new thermal jacket, for surfers only.

All buck tails are being redesign by Dolce&Gabana

I purchased a Grunden's Cage Ragnar Pullover last year when I had a discount code and it's easily my favorite top. The neoprene cuffs and PVC material are industrial. I had to size up to an XL since the PVC doesn't stretch and it was like a sausage casing. I wear thermal leggings under a pair of joggers (mostly because they're comfortable and also indicate if there are any holes in my waders). I also got a pair of Glacier Glove Pro Hunter Gloves in case the conditions are that cold.

Pending where you are fishing, screw in studs for your boots may be a good choice. A lot of the jetty rocks are incredibly slippery. I took a fall last year and nearly broke my arm.

If you're fishing on Long Island, make sure you wear your fresh Timb's and Yankees flat brim! :shaky:

5 hours ago, Recruitkim said:

Been fishing for about 5 years now and just starting to really explore surf fishing, so the advice is much appreciated. Thanks. 

I'll start.

Top: designer coat, fleece, shirt, extra thermal if necessary. 

Bottom: Waders, sweatpants, maybe shorts or thermals if extra warmth is needed. 

Weather dependent: sun glasses, cheap poncho, regular gloves. 

What do you typically wear? Also, based on my setup should I get any specific gear or brands? Ie grundens rain top etc. Neoprene tops for the winter?

How much do you want to spend? Total.

1 min ago, Recruitkim said:

Money isn't an issue. If I need gear I'll get it. I just wasn't sure what I needed. 

OK. I never over dress underneath my H2O proof top and waders. Under armor style thermals top and bottom. Long socks, fleece vest, neck wrap (head band style, football players wear them).

Gloves are optional. I rarely wear them. If I need them it is only surgical gloves doubled up. I have neoprene gloves and I hate them. 

H2O proof tops- Healy Hanson, StormR, aquaskinz. All great tops.

Waders- Orvis, cabelas, Froggs, light weight, boot feet. Lots of good ones out there.  No rubber or neoprene. Old school and uncomfortable. 

Wader boots- light wieght, lots of brands. Go online and read reviews and see what you like. 

Sunglasses are a must, most days.

--Do not over dress underneath. The waders and top will keep you warm and dry.

No cheap ponhco's or any thing else that is to cheap. They do not last and they will force you out of the surf because of being cold and uncomfortable. 

And of course a New York Yankees cap. It keeps the rif raf away. 

I hope this helps.

5 hours ago, Nite_Bite_00 said:

And of course a New York Yankees cap. .

On Field #9, that is all that's required.

Jetty- rain pants with fleece pants under them. Fleece/wool upper layers, grundens shell, and usually Korker boots.

Beach- Bootfoot waders, same as above minus rain pants and separate boots.

Make sure every layer is synthetic or wool and wear appropriate footwear.