Killroy

Mullet in freshwater as bait

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

I dislike making a first post a question but that is often what pushes me to join a board to begin with.   I love old Penn reels and have read probably every post on this forum mentioning Penn reels and a lot of other topics besides.  I have been striper fishing about 5 years. 

I am currently on a king Mack trip and have access to an unlimited number of 5-7 inch mullet.  Has anyone ever fished mullet (cut or whole) in a landlocked freshwater striper River or lake?  Results? I know they make excellent bait in the surf but I am wondering about a fish that's never seen a mullet.   I would think it would be fine but am looking for a little expertise before I fill my party cooler with frozen mullet.  Thanks.  

I know largemouth bass eat them pretty well, even in the dark :) There's no reason why striped bass, hybrids, catfish and pretty much any other fish eater wouldn't eat them well. They are shiny, they smell like fish and freeze very well :)

TimS

Thank you much.   TimS, that freezing very well part is the kicker.  I hate how a skipjack freezes. I know tons of people have luck with them frozen, but I never have.   

If they are free then give it a try.  The land locked stirpers I'm familiar with in lakes relate to mid lake and generally mid depths.  So the question would be presentation vs other methods that people have found to work.  You can see them on the sonar working large clouds of baitfish but generally suspended at 20 - 30 feet.

1 hour ago, Birdsnester said:

I’ve used saltwater clam in land locked area of the Susquehanna and Strippers ate it up.  No reason they would not like mullet.

Did you fish from shore?  As I understand it those couple "lakes" on the Susquehanna have stocked stripers.  Some pure breed and some hybrid.  For the most part they are locked in the river by dams.  So would be interesting fishing as not a traditional lake but not a fully free flowing river to the fish.  I wonder if they try to migrate up any creek arms?  Periodically someone catches one up toward Sunbury or even Wilkes Barre.

As a flyfisherman I've heard of people fishing the power plant output with flies during cold periods and doing well.

Edited by Steve_in_PA

Good deal!  

There is a power plant outflow that I fish in the dead of winter that brings in a lot of stripers.   The best way to Target them there is to throw out a bottom rod and then a swimbait with the other.   Looks like I'll be soaking a mullet or two.   Just filled three freezer bags full.  

Standard cut bait for stripers and cats on the Colorado River and its lakes (Mead, Mojave, Havasu) is frozen anchovies, sold in most bait shops out west.  No reason why mullet wouldn't work just as well.