Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
salt deficient

perception pescador pilot 12 ?

9 posts in this topic

Anyone have one or use one.  Propeller drive..   They noisy?  Hold up on salt?   How do they hold up on weeds vs the hobie fin drive?

Can get a new one for $650 at a store going out of business locally...

Edited by salt deficient

That would be perception, not old town. No idea about drive durability but I wasn’t impressed when seeing them side by side hobie, Jackson, native and old towns. At that price you can’t go wrong and if you don’t get along you can probably flip it for a profit. 

12 hours ago, salt deficient said:

Anyone have one or use one.  Propeller drive..   They noisy?  Hold up on salt?   How do they hold up on weeds vs the hobie fin drive?

Can get a new one for $650 at a store going out of business locally...

Get it before someone else snags it, great kayak.  Three years in salt, no major issues. 

Will buy atleast 1, maybe 2.  Girlfriend likes to use paddle instead.  So this might be her kayak.  

Debating whether to buy this and a hobie, or 2 of these.  I just see the propeller drive getting hung on weeds and low water.  

Paddles are relatively maintenance free. Pedal drives not so much. When is the last time you heard for a paddle failure ? Pretty rare unless you have a really cheap paddle ? 

Bought (2) red pescador pilot 12.0's tonight...  The deal was still very good, but not as good as reported to me.  $865 each w/o NY Tax.    A large outdoors goods outlet is closing in kingston NY because they combined with a camper / rv national retailer.   They had about 6 or 7 left after I bought mine......  Whats good for the goose is good for the "........."

Will post photos once I get everything together.......

Was out the door at $2100 with kayaks, good paddles, good life jackets, night light kit, 4 spools of braid, couple of lures, and a brand new cribbage board for $5...............   

I may go back and pick up a basic 10ft fishing kayak for $200.  I work near a NYC watersupply reservior that allows you to keep kayaks there, or have yours professionally powerwashed before putting in each time.   Smoking good walleye fishing.   Trout is good too.

They seem to be fine.   I did not work them very hard in RI 2 weeks ago.   Last week was realy rainy, plus no live bait for freshwater fishing up here.  This weekend is not good, canceled my ADK hunting trip due to cold/flu.

I took them on relatively short trips,  wind was blowing pretty hard.   Rear bay was shallower than first thought, so pedaling was tough.  Seemed to cruise nicely withoput much effort.  Much Much more stable than perceptions 9.5 swifty I bought last summer.  They'll work.   I did hit some saltwater weeds and tapped a few rocks.  Weeds got chopped up and the drive and propellor are damage free.

No fish finder on them for now.  I have a helix 7 SI G2 and a 6 year old or so hummingbird 598 DI.  I did make some quick plymood adapter to fit, but haven't put them in yet.

Took awhile to figure out the steering.  Mine is a little off center.  Was difficult to figure out with all the wind 2 weeks ago.  

The rail mount aren't in the best spot on the side.  IF you use your paddle stuff seems to get in the way.  So plan on mounting another rail, or direct mount accesories to other parts of the boat.