Inshore

2019 St Croix Legend Surf Guides???

Rate this topic

26 posts in this topic

So I recently pick up the new rod with the Fuji KW guides. All the information about the rod states K guides with SiC, but the tag that came with the rod shows K guides with Torzite.... Base on the dimensions of the first guide, it’s a size 40 and Fuji offers that size guide in Ti both SiC and Torzite-R. So how can one tell if it’s the SiC or the Torzite-R?

I have a Legend with the RV guides and the color of the insert is the same best I can tell. Don’t know if that matters...

AF386103-8837-48F1-A742-7C3462A22F4B.jpeg

E51C167C-E67D-4238-A084-8C683EECAAD8.jpeg

11 mins ago, Inshore said:

So I recently pick up the new rod with the Fuji KW guides. All the information about the rod states K guides with SiC, but the tag that came with the rod shows K guides with Torzite.... Base on the dimensions of the first guide, it’s a size 40 and Fuji offers that size guide in Ti both SiC and Torzite-R. So how can one tell if it’s the SiC or the Torzite-R?

I have a Legend with the RV guides and the color of the insert is the same best I can tell. Don’t know if that matters...

AF386103-8837-48F1-A742-7C3462A22F4B.jpeg

E51C167C-E67D-4238-A084-8C683EECAAD8.jpeg

The Torzite ring is much thinner.

7 mins ago, AFMike said:

The Torzite ring is much thinner.

I did take note of that on Fuji’s site. So dimensionally, how much thinner comparing the same size ring SiC vs Torzite-R?

8E509D34-A17C-43B7-B9D9-CC89B5855FF1.jpeg

Edited by Inshore

14 mins ago, Inshore said:

I did take note of that on Fuji’s site. So dimensionally, how much thinner comparing the same size ring SiC vs Torzite-R?

8E509D34-A17C-43B7-B9D9-CC89B5855FF1.jpeg

It's pretty significant.  I don't know the exact dimensions but it is definitely noticeable.  They are very light and very expensive.  I use them on a lot of the rods I build.

The larger size guides of torzite has torzite "written" on the side of the frame leg (non rv). Also the difference between sic and torzite is very noticeable in thickness and sheen of the insert. If that still doesn't help, just post a picture of it and we'll tell you lol

Edited by Jetex2801

Based on all the intel, they appear to be SiC... Here is a pic of the No. 40, no word “Torzite” on the frame. Thx all!

85DC5CF1-B7AA-470B-AED1-59B3586D1DE5.jpeg

Edited by Inshore

1 hour ago, Inshore said:

Based on all the intel, they appear to be SiC... Here is a pic of the No. 40, no word “Torzite” on the frame. Thx all!

85DC5CF1-B7AA-470B-AED1-59B3586D1DE5.jpeg

I bought mine over a year ago and on the frame it says “Titanium” as well. I am sure mine is Torzite. 

09167587-8C8B-46A4-B663-317744981CEF.jpeg

Edited by levari

3 mins ago, Belmo said:

Why would anybody want SiC guides on a surf rod? It's just about the worst ring material there is for a surf rod.

I don't get it. :huh:

I don’t have any issues with them.

Here is the information on the 2019 Legend Surf

• Fuji® Torzite® RV K-Series tangle-free surf guides with titanium frames for unrivaled, 100% corrosion-proof performance.
  • Fuji® Torzite® surf top with flanged ring for greatly reduced line friction.

However, I called them up and the website is wrong and will be corrected.

The pre 2019 model to 2019 is in the insert. The frame is still the same titanium frame.

Edited by levari

I’ve used sic on multiple surf and jetty sticks without issue. Some guys feel the ring is harder and therefore more brittle is something hitsthe guide or you fall with the rod. But again, no issues for me.