Should of known this would happen...

coastalfreak

On 10/10/2019 at 7:57 PM, Beastly Backlash said:

The ecosystems that exist in North American fresh water environments are all already technically destroyed. What currently exists in any body of water is a conglomeration of non native fish species that people like to catch.

In terms of contained a species profile consistent with undisturbed pre-man/pre-'management" practices, absolutely.

Things change, we change them even more so, and thats that.

Water quality, at this point is >>>>> the additional of yet another non-native.  

On 10/12/2019 at 8:24 AM, nateD said:

I love how most of the media focused on how they could breathe air and shimmy across land. They are gonna eat your dog!!

People don't realize this, but channel catfish also have the ability to shimmy across dry land. They can also survive outside of water significantly longer then most other fish.

When I fish the river in certain locations I will dig out a pit in the bank so I can put my baitfish in and keep them live. Well, when ever I put channel cats in the water pit they will swim around the edges inspecting every corner. They will wait until you turn you back and they think you are not watching, crawl out of the lowest edge, and crawl towards the main body of water over dry ground.

On 10/12/2019 at 0:02 PM, Slacker said:

For those that this thread has confused, largemouth bass most certainly are native to north america.

... and are most certainly not native to the east coast lakes, streams, rivers, and ponds that they are now endemic in.

There were no Larries in NNJ until man introduced them.   

36 mins ago, 55555s said:

... and are most certainly not native to the east coast lakes, streams, rivers, and ponds that they are now endemic in.

There were no Larries in NNJ until man introduced them.   

Which is probably fine considering that most NNJ lakes were man made in the first place.

24 mins ago, Beastly Backlash said:

Are they lakes or small reservoirs made from damming up creeks and streams?

A reservoir is man made, but it is made by using a naturally occurring body of water. 

Its a bit of all of the above.  Damned up streams or rivers, flooded valleys, and even brand new construction.

There are plenty of natural waterbodies in NJ and the surrounding states into which pike, walleye, LMB, SMB, rainbow trout, musky, channels, and a good deal of other non-natives have been released.  

The species profile bears no semblance to the original native ecosystems.