Recruitkim

Is it possible to catch fish here?

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

Someplace in Rockaway, queens. Have only caught dogfish, sea Robin, skate, and a little bass. Never really see large schools of bait or groups of sea gulls here either. 

Also conditions were much harsher today than normal. Waves were up to 12 feet high im guessing and the wash could easily pull you out to sea. 

YouTube says these are great fishing conditions but I didn't get a single bite. 

20191009_172230.jpg

20191009_172218.jpg

16 mins ago, Recruitkim said:

YouTube says these are great fishing conditions but I didn't get a single bite. 

Next time bring mosquitos for bait. :D

Absolutely yes... I did this morning... somewhere on LI... several... even if they are 15ft seas. The real question is, can you even reach and cast past the beach lip?... can you keep contact with your lure?... can you do this without losing your footing and dying? Sometimes its not worth the risk of pushing it, but the answer is yes, there are always fish around in washing machine seas.

3 - 4 oz on an open beach is a bit heavy,  I mean really how deep do you think the water is within your casting range 12 feet deep?

You battle the sweep with technique, time your cast and the angle you cast to compensate for the sweep ( depending on lure selection ).

Most can get it done with a 1.75 - 2oz in a heavy sweep with wind in the face and a decent chop

3-4oz I'm starting to think deep inlet fishing with fast moving water

Learn to read the beach, plenty of YouTube videos on it. While you can get lucky just casting anywhere, your results will be better if you focus on structure known to hold fish.

Recruit ..truth is nobody truly "sucks" unless you are casting behind you in the sand,  open beach is not easy to fish from.

You look upon this vast open-ness with confidence that there are fish to your right and left, but the truth is.. if you randomly walk up and randomly cast and randomly work any lure you want, your success is going waaaaaaaay down.

Read and re-read C.Robins point,  learn to read the beach.

After watching 30 videos, I still go to the beach and cant fully grasp EVERY point I see in a video because that video had structure that my local beach never has or its too subtle to identify.

You will however, find a few key points that you can locate and then fish them hard, if nothing, keep walking, you may need to walk a mile up the beach to another spot that looks "fishy".

Try to find bait in the water as well.

And read the rip or sweep, dont just cast straight lines in front of you, work your angles.

My buddy only uses tins, spoons, diamond jigs.. has to have shiny metal or he wont throw it..he cant figure out bucktails for the life of him... BUT, I routinely watch him out-fish everyone, day night, blues, stripers, fluke...doesnt matter.

He is married to tins and catches every damn fish with them and he will not change, he always says he will choose confidence in a "crappy" lure  over  dumb luck with a "great" lure.

Last bit of advice is... dont even try night suf fishing until you nail day surf fishing.

Keep at it