TonyO

Cape Cod Charlie's to close for good

Rate this topic

68 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, sandbars said:

As angler and others have stated the quality and care he took to deliver the best fresh bait was second to none. 

Also appreciated that he never spot burned the canal in the early days of the internet and warned others that loose lips sink ships.

That is one reason you very seldom ever saw the shop mentioned by the local scribes who have helped to blow up the canal now for a long time and still do when they did there annual once a week  report

Have Charlie's catalog from the mid-90s some were, built a Cape Cod rod on a Sabber blank in the 90s, a very nice guy and would always return you call if he wasn't around.

It saddens me to be writing this post this morning , but it also reminds me that in every cloud there is a silver lining some where and we just need to find it . Mr. Kenny will be closing the doors this week end to one of Cape Cods Oldest bait and tackle shop here on the Cape Cod Canal. Some history back in another time when the shop was under the ownership of Bill Thomas , father of Mike Thomas that just closed his shop [M and D]  once conducted several tournaments out of the shop for Bass and Blue fish, so while i was in the shop yesterday I took some names of the old trophy plagues to help keep some of the history alive . I will not put up all of the weights that took first place each year during that time frame other than to say One name among others Don Willis managed to catch the largest Bass a few years running of over 40 pounds and Over the years I have known him, he is an an category all by himself as having caught more 40 pound fish from these waters then any other fishermen I have come to know. That was not by accident but by pure dedication to that goal.  I also took note of the size of the blue fish that took first place during several years and that on two occasions 20 pound plus fish were the top winner. To think that I was listening to a recent Law and Order actor telling a story about battling a fish for a very long time from his boat back in another time and after landing it it weighed in at 35 pounds and he released it to fight another day makes one wonder how how really they could become? 

Some of the names may be recognized here so here goes Don Willis, John Gibbs,Dave Kosewski, Oscar Cormire, Allen Chisholm, Jerry and Anne Collette,Wayne Beankieu,Dave Cline and Einan Pearson. Just a small list of who helped to make Cape Cod Charlies what it once was . I did have the privileged with some of these above to fish along side of during my many years in search of another experience in the place we all call the Cape Cod Canal or the big river where on any given day you can never know what you will see along its embankment s   Peace My friend 

On 10/11/2019 at 1:17 AM, Joe G said:

It seems to me the buyer of this land and the intent to erect a gas station, relied on some rock solid evidence and written assurances that the construction of the new bridge, dismantling of the existing bridge and the reconfiguration of access roads would not result in any prime "gas station" land taken by eminent domain by the Feds, the State or Bourne.

I'm a tad suspect at this point. 

I haven't been around much, and I had heard about Gary's shop closing awhile back, but I was just musing over dinner, "ya know, the one thing that Buzzed Bay could really use is another gas station." :rolleyes:  

Dunk's attached, no doubt? 

1 hour ago, Ditch Jigger said:

I haven't been around much, and I had heard about Gary's shop closing awhile back, but I was just musing over dinner, "ya know, the one thing that Buzzed Bay could really use is another gas station." :rolleyes:  

Dunk's attached, no doubt? 

Ditch, I was a tad suspect a few months ago, however an article in the 12/13 CCT leads me to believe that a gas station, as Tony O originally posted,  is a very real possibility.

I quote:       "Choubah Engineering, presented plans to the Bourne Planning Board on 12/10 to build a gas station with a 6,000 square foot building that will include a convenience store, a deli and possibly a beer and wine store.

Choubah, who represents the project applicant, said there are eight other gas stations in Buzzards Bay and there is enough traffic in the area to support another station.

The store will be on a 4.1 acre wooded site that houses the tackle shop which was built in the 1950's.

The Planning Board continued its hearing on the project to 2/13."  

46 mins ago, Joe G said:

Ditch, I was a tad suspect a few months ago, however an article in the 12/13 CCT leads me to believe that a gas station, as Tony O originally posted,  is a very real possibility.

I quote:       "Choubah Engineering, presented plans to the Bourne Planning Board on 12/10 to build a gas station with a 6,000 square foot building that will include a convenience store, a deli and possibly a beer and wine store.

Choubah, who represents the project applicant, said there are eight other gas stations in Buzzards Bay and there is enough traffic in the area to support another station.

The store will be on a 4.1 acre wooded site that houses the tackle shop which was built in the 1950's.

Seems like all bourne selectmen care about are DD's and gas stations...........:thumbd:

14 mins ago, bdowning said:

They also need more liquor stores. :eek:

Me thinks the "A frame" liquor store a few hundred yards west can't be too happy with this proposal.

1 hour ago, bdowning said:

They also need more liquor stores. :eek:

Makes it easier to drink away the skunk after the inevitable desert returns to the ditch next year

ezgif-1-6e102da267c4.gif.c9bbd6ef43840a5f09975d601ac29d47.gif

This is sad to hear, I cut my teeth fishing the canal when I was a kid and loved going to Cape Cod Charlie's with my brother.  My grandfather had a trailer at the Bourne Scenic Park and we used to walk up a trail through the woods to go get bait or just wander around his shop. My father taught us how to surf cast and not bust our heads on the rip rap fishing at night during low tide. I bought my first plug there which landed one of my first schoolies. Fair wind and following seas, Charlies

On 12/17/2019 at 4:32 PM, rst3 said:

Makes it easier to drink away the skunk after the inevitable desert returns to the ditch next year

ezgif-1-6e102da267c4.gif.c9bbd6ef43840a5f09975d601ac29d47.gif

That's my kinda woman.  

Posted (edited) · Report post

On ‎12‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 1:32 PM, Joe G said:

...      "Choubah Engineering, presented plans to the Bourne Planning Board on 12/10 to build a gas station with a 6,000 square foot building that will include a convenience store, a deli and possibly a beer and wine store.

The Bourne Planning Board met on Thursday and is steps away from approving this redevelopment project.  Town planners will take two weeks reviewing the plans and likely approve them on Feb. 27.

The current 4 acre plan now calls for a "Cape Cod " style gas station with 10 filling stations, six two bedroom apartments, a C store, a possible coffee shop and 65 parking spaces.         

Edited by Joe G