TonyO

Cape Cod Charlie's to close for good

Rate this topic

68 posts in this topic

55 mins ago, Kones1 said:

Who’s next ? Blackbeard?  Sad. Sad. Sad. 

Retirering  is neither a bad or a sad thing...………………….

I am positive that Gary the owner of CCC would still sell the business name and stock......………...

Edited by b-ware

Paul said he's not ready to jump ship just yet...he enjoys having the shop to go too  and likes the people when they come in...but it is in the back of his mind that it maybe coming in the future..near or far..time will tell.

I will definitely miss the shop, and the folks behind the counter, and the Brittany(s).

I just ask that he enjoy whatever he pursues next.

As mentioned earlier, I like the proximity to the Club. I had read about this in the news letter.

If open still Saturday, I will be in.

Good Luck Gary.

Edited by Delta17
more words

7 hours ago, b-ware said:

Retirering  is neither a bad or a sad thing...………………….

I am positive that Gary the owner of CCC would still sell the business name and stock......………...

You are missing the point. Another land mark,another era , another bait shop gone for good. !!!! Get it ?  I’m real happy for him indeed because he made it. Because he made it       .......  

Edited by Kones1
I’ve retired 2 x

Gary is truly one of the best people I’ve been fortunate to have in my life. I feel so grateful to have worked a summer for him and to call him a friend. I wouldn’t have gotten to know him if it wasn’t for TonyO.  I’m forever indebted to both Tony and Gary for being great people in my life. 

But it does make me happy that Gary gets to now relax, trout fish, and hang out with Buddy. He worked his friggin’ ass off to give people the best bait at fair prices. He couldn’t sleep at night if he thought he was screwing people over. 

He and TonyO are both great people and both will go down as Canal legends if they haven’t already. 

Edited by rbart

23 hours ago, Jr said:

Bought a lot of pogies there with my dad back in the day. Guess change is inevitable.

Over many of the 26 years Gary operated the store his mantra was always give the customer the best bait and the freshest he could. He never froze old bait and then sold it to his customers like many shops did . They would not freeze it until it began to spoil, Gary felt that freezing it when it was fresh was always best, because when it thawed out it did not turn to mush like those did in some of the other shops did . he has even developed his own way once packaged to layer the bait so that it froze uniformly and once thawed looked like it just came out of the water. Then again when he had to purchase frozen bait he made sure that the best was repackaged for his customers. From Sand eels, crunchies,mackerel , he had it down pat . Then when you added in he had some of the best prices as well it was no wonder he had a great following among the brethren of the cape cod canal . Like I said prior he was a little rough around the etches, but a heart of gold beneath . For me it is a personal loss and wish him well publicly. The shop will remain open periodically as he attempts to clean out the remaining inventory for his many local customers that may stop by to say goodbye at decent prices. 

10 mins ago, troutworm said:

With all the B&Ts closing up,how long before we see a Dicks

Sporting Goods store pop up on the Cape ?

Probably a while. Big box stores are still regarded as the boogeyman on ol Cape Cod.

4 hours ago, bob_G said:

Probably a while. Big box stores are still regarded as the boogeyman on ol Cape Cod.

Don't count your chickens,after all Walmart and BJs and others found

their way to the Cape in short order.

12 hours ago, troutworm said:

With all the B&Ts closing up,how long before we see a Dicks

Sporting Goods store pop up on the Cape ?

Coming to the Cape Cod Mall in the spring....

As angler and others have stated the quality and care he took to deliver the best fresh bait was second to none. 

Also appreciated that he never spot burned the canal in the early days of the internet and warned others that loose lips sink ships.