TonyO

Cape Cod Charlie's to close for good

Rate this topic

68 posts in this topic

10 hours ago, bob_G said:

Brad,

I was hoping you'd chime in on this thread. You were too young to remember, but I held you in my arms there when you were about 2 weeks old. I can't do it now. :laugh: . I still have my old Harnell your dad wrapped for me the year you were born.

ill see if i can dig up some old CCC pictures and post them. Well before my memory, but it looked like a great place back in those days. Sorry to see it go. Good luck to Gary

Another mom & pop bites the dust, along with m&ds. :cry: its particularly a blow to bait fishermen. i dont think theyll find a way to sell fresh macks online unless amazon figures out a way to deliver by drone with an hour turnaround. :b40:

I'll be stopping by today with what might be my final delivery there...…………......…….

With the closing of M&D and CCC a big hole has opened in the Buzzards Bay area for another B&T Shop, good business oportunity for someone willing to work hard and smart...….

The Canal fisherman have lost another part of history with the closing of Cape Cod Charlies. Many of the canal rats were weaned in the shop over many years with many stories of old and owners over the years . Gary has had a good run operating this shop over the years and has provided the real and true fresh bait we all needed to fish with and catch fish of size. So many over the years have managed to become better in tuned with fishing the canal . Gary loves to fish and hunt with the puppies and it was while he was fishing crunchies down behind the Old Stone Church so many years ago that i first ran into him , before bought the shop from Mr. Thomas. Who he had a special bond with. That carried over to when his son set up M and D in Wareham. The circle has now come full circle to the icons of the canal. Gary has always been a stand up guy , a little rough around the edges at times, but a heart of gold . It was my pleasure to have worked behind the counter for a few years with him and his puppies and I along with many others wish him   nothing but smooth sailing going forward.  King Neptune Offers the blessing of good fortunes to a nice guy that ran and operated a shop for those who fished an chance to enjoy fishing as it should be. 

I always enjoyed going into Gary's.  Great memories and many laughs over the years, from when he first began operating it with LIz by his side.

We all did a lot of drifting with chunks back then and I always admired the dedication Gary had in assuring his  "crunchies" were the best by bringing shaved ice back from Gallo's and laying and layering those crunchies down so perfectly it was like a piece of art.  The guy was a perfectionist. 

And Gary's dogs.  Funniest thing was to see and hear both Gary and the dog, Buddy I think, "sing".  Dog is sitting on Gary's lap in the huge chair and both would be howling away.

The very best to Gary, and to you also Tony.  

26 years of memories with one owner is a mile stone of reflections inside one of the original Cape  bait and tackle shops . Like I have posted above. Many high hookers over the years shared the discussion with both Gary and Buddy and Clyde . It can be stated that like every shop you gain a following that will only shop at your store and with out question Gary developed his own brand of customers by provided them with fresh bait when ever possible at a fair prices for every one. Having worked for several shops after retiring here to the Cape, Gary By far was the best at demanding and receiving good fresh bait  Once a new customer was hooked into purchasing the fresh bait at fair prices in most cases they became a customer for life bringing in the next generation  of family members .  Life will go on and fortunately, those that remain will get some of the Cape Cod Charlies Business. To begin any new shop under the conditions facing the tackle business today will be a great trial to get off the ground as back in another time it took 3 to 4 years just build a client that you could depend upon to keep the shop profitable and that meant many , many hours of sitting waiting for fishermen to walk in and buy . Long days and long weeks and long months that in the end many never would make it a go. Those that remain  will be the benefactors  , lets hope the fish are around to help them make it.

Edited by Angler #1

Back when John Gibbs worked there I bought a brand new Newell 235 reel and he brought it down Nauset way so that I didn't have to leave the long bar 

during the heydays

Ended up having it stolen on the beach.  Oh well.

It seems to me the buyer of this land and the intent to erect a gas station, relied on some rock solid evidence and written assurances that the construction of the new bridge, dismantling of the existing bridge and the reconfiguration of access roads would not result in any prime "gas station" land taken by eminent domain by the Feds, the State or Bourne.

I'm a tad suspect at this point. 

18 mins ago, Joe G said:

It seems to me the buyer of this land and the intent to erect a gas station, relied on some rock solid evidence and written assurances that the construction of the new bridge, dismantling of the existing bridge and the reconfiguration of access roads would not result in any prime "gas station" land taken by eminent domain by the Feds, the State or Bourne.

I'm a tad suspect at this point. 

You and I think alike Joe.  Sandy and I were driving under the Bourne Bridge this afternoon, discussing the proposed new bridge.  How the old bridge would have to remain open, as the new one was being built. Then, the old bridge would be removed. 

It was at that time we drove past CC Charlie's  it occurred to me. Would someone build a new gas station, if there was any possiblity they could lose that land by eminent domain in the next decade or less?

14 hours ago, bob_G said:

You and I think alike Joe.  Sandy and I were driving under the Bourne Bridge this afternoon, discussing the proposed new bridge.  How the old bridge would have to remain open, as the new one was being built. Then, the old bridge would be removed. 

It was at that time we drove past CC Charlie's  it occurred to me. Would someone build a new gas station, if there was any possiblity they could lose that land by eminent domain in the next decade or less?

With out question given the rebuilding of the new bridge along side the present one will have an effect depending upon which side they choose. As the land in question now does support the entrance to the bridge it itself . Perhaps the owner is banking on it being taken for the new construction and hopes to realize a nice profit or expects a reward in some manner for his land one way or another. Time will tell for sure which way it will go.