bob_G

No possession, the month of June. Why wouldn't this work?

Rate this topic

31 posts in this topic

The bass arrive May and June. They're hungry, and aggressive. Easy to catch. They're also very big.  

Would prohibiting all possession for June make sense? You could still fish, just not keep.

1. EPOs will find it easy to enforce. If you're in possession, you're in violation. Case closed.

2. The vulnerable, large fish will be spared the free for all slaughter in the canal, at least for a month.

3. Licensed fishermen who want fish to eat, will still have July, August and September to harvest a fish for the table.

4. No impact on commercial season since commercial season begins in July.

5. Might discouraged black market poachers.

8 mins ago, bob_G said:

The bass arrive May and June. They're hungry, and aggressive. Easy to catch. They're also very big.  

Would prohibiting all possession for June make sense? You could still fish, just not keep.

1. EPOs will find it easy to enforce. If you're in possession, you're in violation. Case closed.

2. The vulnerable, large fish will be spared the free for all slaughter in the canal, at least for a month.

3. Licensed fishermen who want fish to eat, will still have July, August and September to harvest a fish for the table.

I like that idea but the only way to stop the poaching IMHO is more EPO presence. If you are serious about fishing (which I believe all of us here debating this issue on our free time are) then you should C&R and encourage others to do the same.

I like the idea but,

Not enough EPO's

Insufficient hurt in the punishment.

and given the release techniques I've witnessed of late the canal will be littered with floaters.

The only way to fix what's happened the last couple of years at the canal is for the canal to fish as it did prior to the last couple of years.

Edited by Gotcow?

Maine has the catch and release only, gear restricted season in the Kennebec, May thru June.

The intention was to protect breeders returning to spawn in the river. 

It would probably be a harder sell here in that there is no significant breeding population in Ma to protect. 

I like it, it would save the herring run based slaughter at least.

It sounds like a good start. A closed season from Jan 1 to July 1 would be even easier to enforce and for people to understand. I always wondered why stripers have no closed season unlike almost all the other fish in New England. 

17 mins ago, z-man said:

It sounds like a good start. A closed season from Jan 1 to July 1 would be even easier to enforce and for people to understand. I always wondered why stripers have no closed season unlike almost all the other fish in New England. 

That's another thing Maine has special in the Kennebec, a closed winter season.

That's another thing I like. Never was a fan of targeting holdovers.

Hey Bob here in the Hudson is where they come to breed why in the heck do they allow fishing at all let alone harvesting fish. I have always thought that to be wrong.  A fish tagged 30 years ago near Chatham was caught in the Hudson last year. She weighed 52 lbs. I quit this fishery just after it recovered, had my share and saw the future back in 2009.  We had a Great shad fishery here as well. Had. 

1 hour ago, bob_G said:

Catch and release can be practiced at anytime you choose. It is a personal choice. You can start any time you want. It does not have to be enforced monthly if your willing to make the change. The striper plight we are experiencing is multifaceted. Poor biomass, Great white sharks, seals, water temp and decreased oxygen levels, outside contaminates, over fishing ( illegal offshore fishing ) and yes poaching! We need the scientific data to find the causation. We all pay for a saltwater license. That money should be used for the preservation of the fishery. I understand your intention is to help. I am telling you as a fellow angler we can do this on our own by making it the right choice. There have been times in the past our best ambassadors did not wait on the state to act. They led by example and championed the cause. If you think the state is here to help our goals, you are sadly mistaken. The shore fisherman never gets the fair shake. The commercial fisherman writes bigger checks. They love to see the narrative head in the direction of poachers. It deflects any talk about them. We need more info. In the mean time if more catch and release more we can be part of the solution. IMHO

2 mins ago, flydog777 said:

Catch and release can be practiced at anytime you choose. It is a personal choice. You can start any time you want. It does not have to be enforced monthly if your willing to make the change. The striper plight we are experiencing is multifaceted. Poor biomass, Great white sharks, seals, water temp and decreased oxygen levels, outside contaminates, over fishing ( illegal offshore fishing ) and yes poaching! We need the scientific data to find the causation. We all pay for a saltwater license. That money should be used for the preservation of the fishery. I understand your intention is to help. I am telling you as a fellow angler we can do this on our own by making it the right choice. There have been times in the past our best ambassadors did not wait on the state to act. They led by example and championed the cause. If you think the state is here to help our goals, you are sadly mistaken. The shore fisherman never gets the fair shake. The commercial fisherman writes bigger checks. They love to see the narrative head in the direction of poachers. It deflects any talk about them. We need more info. In the mean time if more catch and release more we can be part of the solution. IMHO

But to my lyin' eyes, over the last 5 years very few are practicing c&r. It more like catch 'n keep. And no one is releasing anything over 45". 

BTW, as I'm sure you well know, the saltwater license was never intended for preservation of the striper fishery.

2 mins ago, bob_G said:

But to my lyin' eyes, over the last 5 years very few are practicing c&r. It more like catch 'n keep. And no one is releasing anything over 45". 

BTW, as I'm sure you well know, the saltwater license was never intended for preservation of the striper fishery.

Unfortunately most fisherman are not aware of the damage done by keeping females. Great point! It is here in the forum where we can educate rather than turn against our self interest. How to take a picture and safely release the fish should be our public service message. A slot limit nothing over 36"or under 30" is good enough don't you think? Catch and release is the answer. We need to create a new philosophy to save our quarry. It has to be preached daily and taught. The attitude has to change. This has to be a collective effort. Many people that turn out plugs now subscribe to this and preach this in their forums. It needs to resonate here. We need to effectuate the change by endorsing this new attitude. I have been practicing catch and release for 40 years. It works. It makes all the difference in the world. The entire sport of flyfishing is now mostly catch and release. Are you saying us surf-casters can't change? I think we can surprise you given some education and a lesson in being apart of the solution.

A real hypocrisy exists in regards to the way our fishery managers think.

We have closed seasons for bottom fish like black sea bass, tautog, and fluke.  Yet the folks who managed our fishery  say the striper is the most sought after and important game fish on the east coast, and vital to local economies.  

If that's the case, why are they still taking baby steps in managing it? The fact that there's no specific open/closed season seems ludicrous.

Edited by bob_G

30 mins ago, bob_G said:

A real hypocrisy exsists in regards to the way our fishery managers think.

We have closed seasons for bottom fish like black sea bass, tautog, and fluke.  Yet the folks who managed our fishery  say the striper is the most sought after and important game fish on the east coast, and vital to local economies.  

If that's the case, why are they still taking baby steps in managing it? The fact that there's no specific open/closed season seems ludicrous.

Yes. No help is coming. They just want the money. The money should go to preservation but it doesn't. The commercial guys will get their way. The shore fisherman is of no concern to them. The striper is in peril. We have to do something. Waiting for the people who manage the fishery to make the right steps is useless. It is up to us. If Stan Gibbs was alive I bet he would tell you the same. He was part of the greatest generation. Those guys did not stand idly by. I fully agree the lack of response to our fishery is ludicrous. Keep this dialogue going. Spread the truth. Maybe before everyone renews their license we sign a petition or pen a letter. This is how to bring about change.

All the canal guys love to talk about how they are conservationists who practice C&R, so why is there not a serious push to make the canal C&R only. This would discourage a lot of the poachers and yahoos from fishing there. A may/June closure would help, but good luck getting charter captains on board with that idea.