JerseyMike609

Tackle Storage!

Rate this topic

39 posts in this topic

So the other day I had some free time that unfortunately I couldnt spend fishing,I ended up cleaning out my car and trying to re-organize some of my gear.Since I have been thinking about better ways to store/organize my tackle at home and in my car.If you guys can share what works for you its be a big help....pics would also be appreciated.Thanks!

Edited by JerseyMike609
Wording

I use 3700 sized boxes........

My problem is my fishing types cross over.   Ill be surf fishing one weekend, then be on the boat the next, then have a setup for fishing for tog, then maybe hit trout during the week. 

Thats why the boxes help.  I can swap out the boxes in some of the stuff I have.  But, I usually buy bulk tackle, like 100 swivels, 100 pack hooks.  So, some can go in one pack, and the rest go in others.

I got a surf bag, a lure bag for the inlet, a bait fishing bag, a freshwater trout bag, a bag for striper fishing with live bait in the hudson, a freshwater fishing with the boat, and now will have a kayak setup soon too.

I too have multiple fishing bags for fly, UL spinning, medium weight spinning. and salt with sub sections in interchangeable 3600  boxes. Sometimes I drag the whole catastrophe along if I don't know for sure what the program will be.  

I use some plano boxes and a surf bag to store lures.  As I use them & swap used plugs out of the surf bag they go into a milk crate that I cut plastic downspout into tubes for.  This way I know which lures saw saltwater & can just take the milk crate out and hose them all down at once when I get home. 

1 hour ago, JerseyMike609 said:

This just makes me feel worst about how unorganized I am....

Before I found out about these those giant clear quart bins were my container to hold the small containers...im a container freak lol

I've been thinking about a Kastking bag, they make 3 sizes, the largest will hold up to 12-3700's and 5-3600's (depending on thickness). Seems like overkill but nice to have a lot in one place. I'm tired of swapping stuff out, from there I imagine I can go to smaller bags.

81-G-+o+-2L._SL1500_.jpg

So I will say I tried several different storage options before settling on this one being the best for me and most efficient. I fish out of my truck a lot on island beach state park. I carry almost all of the tackle I own so I’m not ever without something I need. A couple observations:
-I folded down the back seats of my Jeep for increased space. 

- The Plano boxes are easy and utilize space well but I hated the time it took me to go through them sometimes esp at night. 
-I utilize 2 large planos only for my metal/rubber/bucktails. The rest of my plugs have a space inside one of the Tubes in the crates. 
-This way is neat/I can grab or switch plugs fast/visually it’s the best as I can see everything I have. 
-Easily transferable from vehicle to vehicle or vehicle to garage!  The other large sportsman crate to the right contains all of my 4x4 supplies as well as my surfbag/surf belt/Korkers etc. I travel and do overnighters often and I am finally 100% happy with my gear storage. 

6D8EC80E-433A-4AD8-90DD-EAC29244EB0C.jpeg

06A55CD1-B6D6-4E63-9239-94E64313557A.jpeg

805BA2FB-B347-427F-BC7B-ED899C4F7E94.jpeg

E0FAE2EA-7E9F-470C-B3D8-253B9DF008A7.jpeg

11226D78-4209-48A9-884C-E5A7127EDAB3.jpeg

Home - I do the below. Car, I only carry what I will use that night and maybe another bag or plano tray with some additional plugs. I no longer carry significant amounts of tackle in my vehicle. I've known too many people that have gotten robbed over the years.

IMG_6903.jpeg

19 mins ago, Drew C. said:

Home - I do the below. Car, I only carry what I will use that night and maybe another bag or plano tray with some additional plugs. I no longer carry significant amounts of tackle in my vehicle. I've known too many people that have gotten robbed over the years.

IMG_6903.jpeg

Very nice Drew! :th:

Lastly, I have an oversize cargo rack on the back of my Jeep with another tubeless milk crate with a piece of plastic cutout and Inserted on bottom (plastic on bottom has drain holes) Any plugs/tools or other gear that needs to be rinsed when I get home goes here & I often put my surfbag and belt here to keep sand in my Jeep to a minimum. This milk crate has drain holes on the bottom and Makes rinsing gear easy. Sandy waders and surf tops etc get thrown on the cargo rack as well. 

90134709-CBFA-4ECA-8A51-1CB71F185DAD.jpeg

10902955-65E6-4DEA-AE21-F52D6DD80B29.jpeg