Southcoastphil

CCBC Pikies--Any reason not to fish these?

16 posts in this topic

Found these two in the fish cave recently.  Un less there's anything special/valuable about them, I'll seal them quickly and fish them.  (might be good mullet imitations?)

 

Your thoughts?

 

IMG_1969.JPG.39b4deecd36f8836b7311b5c676f06d6.JPG

 

IMG_1970.JPG.929d08f31871ef35a2ff272155f4822e.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have some of these too.  Can you tell me how you plan on sealing them?  I want to do the same, seal and fish.  I have no interest in collecting them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, fatbikerjoe said:

I have some of these too.  Can you tell me how you plan on sealing them?  I want to do the same, seal and fish.  I have no interest in collecting them.

I clean the plug first with any sort of household cleaner (diluted Dawn dish soap, Formula 409, etc.), rinse off the cleaner an wipe off the plug with a dry rag.  Let it dry.  (Usually doesn't take long, since I don't ever soak them when cleaning/rinsing.)

 

If it's just a few "spots" I used Hard as Nails.  For larger areas (like these plugs) I've applied Minwax Spar Urethane, diluted roughly 2:1 with paint thinner, with a brush.  Since it's oil-based it adds some amber color, which I don't really care for on some plugs.

 

I've seen some other water-based products that dry "crystal clear", so I might give those a shot.

 

Note that I'm not "sealing" the whole plug by stripping off all of the hardware then dipping it.  I'm just trying to patch up the big scrapes, along with the ends of the plugs.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, fatbikerjoe said:

I have some of these too.  Can you tell me how you plan on sealing them?  I want to do the same, seal and fish.  I have no interest in collecting them.

Remove the wire, the lip, the hooks and hangers

 

Mix up some SLOW cure epoxy, the bar top stuff like Envirotex Lite is best, but it's hard to find in small bottles so will be pricey - If you know anyone who makes plugs they probably can spare the small amount you need. 30 minute or less stuff is far more brittle, less waterproof and yellows more

 

Use a cheap eyedropper to squirt the epoxy down the eye loop hole, do it until it comes out the bottom. Use a q-tip to coat the inside of the belly holes

Run something down the length of the hole, like a shish kabab skewer, to make sure the excess epoxy is all out

 

You can use minwax wood hardener for this part too, but the stuff is very toxic, bad fumes - do it OUTSIDE, leave it outside until fully cured. Personally I stay away from the stuff even though it is easier. (Don't use it on the painted surfaces)

 

Use a cheap 1" foam brush to coat the entire outside with a very thin coat, get some in the lip slot. Replace the lip and the screws that hold it in place (don't forget to do this while the epoxy is wet or you'll have a problem getting it back in) I do the front of the lure first using the rear of the plug as a handle, put the lip back in, then use the lip as a handle while I coat the rear half of the plug

 

Wear thin latex gloves, epoxy is not good for you.

 

Use the flip method until the epoxy is cured well enough that it won't sag

 

Rewire, replace the hangers with good swivels

 

Plug will now be better than new

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 mins ago, Southcoastphil said:

I clean the plug first with any sort of household cleaner (diluted Dawn dish soap, Formula 409, etc.), rinse off the cleaner an wipe off the plug with a dry rag.  Let it dry.  (Usually doesn't take long, since I don't ever soak them when cleaning/rinsing.)

 

If it's just a few "spots" I used Hard as Nails.  For larger areas (like these plugs) I've applied Minwax Spar Urethane, diluted roughly 2:1 with paint thinner, with a brush.  Since it's oil-based it adds some amber color, which I don't really care for on some plugs.

 

I've seen some other water-based products that dry "crystal clear", so I might give those a shot.

 

Note that I'm not "sealing" the whole plug by stripping off all of the hardware then dipping it.  I'm just trying to patch up the big scrapes, along with the ends of the plugs.

 

 

That's what I want to do, basically just dip em and fish em.  Not looking to take hardware off, not looking to repaint.  So I'm looking for a water based product that dries crystal clear.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, fatbikerjoe said:

I have some of these too.  Can you tell me how you plan on sealing them?  I want to do the same, seal and fish.  I have no interest in collecting them.

No sealing, other than a complete strip-down first, is gonna last very long. One could, however, clean them thoroughly and then brush on a coat of polyu. The poly will adhere to bare wood, flake off elsewhere during use. Maybe, a cleaning, scuff, and coat of slow-cure epoxy would help, but the cost/effort would be prohibitive to anybody who's not already building plugs.

 

I'd say fish them until they're totally beat to ish, then decide to restore, retire, or replace them

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Southcoastphil said:

Found these two in the fish cave recently.  Un less there's anything special/valuable about them, I'll seal them quickly and fish them.  (might be good mullet imitations?)

 

Your thoughts?

 

IMG_1969.JPG.39b4deecd36f8836b7311b5c676f06d6.JPG

 

IMG_1970.JPG.929d08f31871ef35a2ff272155f4822e.JPG

Both are desirable plugs and colors. Top is Mullet and second is blue flash. Collectible, yes, but in that condition worth less than $10 .  Fish them, especially with the mullet around.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not a ton of money there.  Fish them.  However of that mullet cleans up nicely you can sell it for probably $30 or so.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/11/2019 at 5:55 AM, Mikeinri said:

Not a ton of money there.  Fish them.  However of that mullet cleans up nicely you can sell it for probably $30 or so.   

Thanks Mike.

 

I'm intrigued with that pattern, so I plan to clean it up to get a better look.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

These pikies were go to plugs back in the 60's and early 70's and took many good fish. They swim great and attract strikes. They are  a bit light  for their size because they were made from white cedar but make up for it in catchability. I have several still and will not hesitate to use them. I like the straight 8" giant pikie. Enjoy!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.