BethefishBenoit

Storm fishing

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

How many of you sharpies fish storms?  

I know white water gets them feeding. I was thinking of giving it a shot might be the last for me for the season or maybe close to the last lol. 

What do you toss? Bucktails, heavy needles, heavy shads, canal specials. Metals are what I’m thinking. Had some success this week on some point Jude’s 

I was reading some and heard if it’s too weedy to go with floating poppers. 

I personally love fishing storms as long as the weed’s not too bad. My go to’s are usually lipped swimmers with some bite to them like pikies or large bombers or bottle plugs on the surface.

One reason I don’t fish storms as often anymore is that releasing fish can often be dangerous or impossible. 
I was fishing a storm by myself one night down in RI and landed a 38# fish after a long fight. (That’s a huge fish for me)  I wanted to release it but it was going to need to be some resuscitation and there was no possible way to do that safely. Ended up having to walk away from a good bite because I wasn’t able to get them back in the water.

I do love fishing froth though... 

Edited by SkunkLuvver

3 hours ago, giggyfish said:

Up on the south shore a stiff in your face northeast wind usually pushes them tight to the beach. Dress right and you can do well. 

Yep.  There's no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothing.

On 10/9/2019 at 4:17 PM, giggyfish said:

Up on the south shore a stiff in your face northeast wind usually pushes them tight to the beach. Dress right and you can do well. 

If you stand on any south shore beach right now you'll catch a ton of salad.

I feel storm fishing is over rated like it's some glorious time when men with balls got the biggest bass and most protective bass fishing of the season. I can see if someone hits an area where its been great clarity leading up to the storm and bass have been present.  Maybe the first period of the storm in the white water produces... but no visibility, weed, and cold upwelled water is really not the optimum time to fish.  

39 mins ago, The Riddler said:

I feel storm fishing is over rated like it's some glorious time when men with balls got the biggest bass and most protective bass fishing of the season. I can see if someone hits an area where its been great clarity leading up to the storm and bass have been present.  Maybe the first period of the storm in the white water produces... but no visibility, weed, and cold upwelled water is really not the optimum time to fish.  

My balls must not have been big enough got the skunk. But I hear guys in Montauk did pretty good up to the storm.   481A448D-CE5A-4656-B7DF-585EFAA7282D.jpeg.e4a5b3eb4a9dc1b279b2155a19efc09a.jpeg