frazerp

New 4x4s

44 posts in this topic

Looking to buy/lease a (probably new) 4x4 & have my eye on the following:
Ford Ranger
Toyota Tacoma
Toyota 4 Runner
Any pointers from you beach runners ???

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4runner w front receiver cooler rack and rod up interior rack and ski rack ......all my fishing gear stays organized and easy to get too.....nice in cold conditions to have waders etc inside and warm instead of cold and clammy from a truck....one of the best 4runner features to me is being able to roll the rear window up and down.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, frazerp said:

Looking to buy/lease a (probably new) 4x4 & have my eye on the following:
Ford Ranger
Toyota Tacoma
Toyota 4 Runner
Any pointers from you beach runners ???

I'd take a Jeep Wrangler/ Gladiator over any of them.  Especially beach driving is important.

Edited by Cpalms

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, frazerp said:

Looking to buy/lease a (probably new) 4x4 & have my eye on the following:
Ford Ranger
Toyota Tacoma
Toyota 4 Runner
Any pointers from you beach runners ???

 

Edited by Cpalms

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Drew C. said:

Go yota. 
 

I wouldn’t take a ford or dodge for free. 

If anyone offers a free Ford I’ll take it off your hands. :th:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My current Buggy is a 2016 Toyota 4-Runner Trail Edition, now badged as the TRD Pro Off-Road.  I've been driving on the beach since 1986, and I can tell you that this 4-Runner drives on the sand like it is on the road.  The only disadvantage it has is that the engine Skid plates tend to collect sand, but I take care of that, and underbody corrosion protection my methodologies I have outline in other post in this forum, so you can search my posts.  I really like the 2019 TRD Pro Off-Road for the fact that they raised the ground clearance significantly.  If you are intending to have an external roof mounted rod rack, such as the Rack-A-Rod, I suggest you order the single tier roof rack, vice the more exotic one that had two side rails (intended to secure cargo on top). If you decide to buy, vice lease, there are pretty nice aftermarket items useful for beach use - Molle Panels for the rear cargo area windows, ARB dual air compressor mounted under the hood, several different dual battery kits with Start Isolation Automatic Charging Relay built in, and a whole lot more.  There are a lot of "5th Generation 4-Runner Upgrade" videos on YouTube.  I would attach links, but most are '.com" so it is against site rules.

 

Good luck in your search.

Edited by FlatWing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Cpalms said:

I'd take a Jeep Wrangler/ Gladiator over any of them.  Especially beach driving is important.

I have a newer Wrangler as my buggy going on 2 seasons now and it is without a doubt the greatest 4x4 vehicle I’ve ever operated/rode in.  
Ive done some things to improve on storage space like eliminating back seating and  dedicating it to gear storage.  Also, added a large cargo carrier basket that I use carry my sandy or wet waders/belt/surfbag/coolers on. 
- I have only identified 2 cons: A lot of sand collects inside because many times I’m driving with sandy waders and storing used gear. This is the only time I miss my Silverados. 
- Wrangler is the most uncomfortable vehicle I’ve ever slept in. Even a quick nap is difficult. 
 

The new Gladiator is really the “ full package” to me because of the added cab area. 
  
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, jsbergen said:

I have a newer Wrangler as my buggy going on 2 seasons now and it is without a doubt the greatest 4x4 vehicle I’ve ever operated/rode in.  
Ive done some things to improve on storage space like eliminating back seating and  dedicating it to gear storage.  Also, added a large cargo carrier basket that I use carry my sandy or wet waders/belt/surfbag/coolers on. 
- I have only identified 2 cons: A lot of sand collects inside because many times I’m driving with sandy waders and storing used gear. This is the only time I miss my Silverados. 
- Wrangler is the most uncomfortable vehicle I’ve ever slept in. Even a quick nap is difficult. 
 

The new Gladiator is really the “ full package” to me because of the added cab area. 
  
 

And the top comes down and the doors come off. 4Runner do that? Fun factor is off the charts.

 

oh and best resale of any American car. With car sales in general crashing, there are plenty of deals to be had. 

Edited by Cpalms

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, DEM Parking Lot said:

My 1st buggy was a wrangler TJ; can't fit sh*t in those things.

Ummm, I think the OP was asking about new vehicles, not vehicles that have not been built in 20 years.  I could be wrong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.