Bucko

Striped Bass Health Warning and Conservation

Rate this topic

41 posts in this topic

In MA They are putting signs to this effect currently around the ponds regarding mercury. Essentially warning people to limit consumption. They just started appearing in the last two months.

On 10/9/2019 at 4:00 PM, FishermanTim said:

Here's an interesting point to consider....do they know where the fish are ingesting the majority of these chemicals?

Are they migrators from Delaware? New York?

Are they resident fish that stay here year round?

Seeing that the fish are most likely migratory fish, and spend time north and south, you'd have to look to see which region has the highest likelihood of mercury contamination. Unfortunately, pretty much EVERYONE treated their lumber or dumped their chemical waste into resident waterways, so it wouldn't be just one region.

Now....if there are incidents of people dumping illegally recently, then  you'd have a tangible target to aim for....

Tim the entire Chesapeake Bay had PCB issues.  Some areas worse than others such as Baltimore Harbor.  The smaller organisms pick them and the apex predators end up with highest concentration.

Since most fish up here are from Chesapeake no surprised they have PBC issues.  MD is pretty notorious for not letting people know about seafood warnings.  We had a saying "We have the best politicians money can buy" in Maryland.

Though I would suspect most MA watersheds have major PCB issues with all the years of industry on your rivers and those PCBs then filtering down stream into your estuaries to poison the food chain.

On 9/10/2019 at 9:26 PM, Good2Go said:

Well, somthins gonna getchu. But, if it reduces demand we oughta use this info. Just remember the rule (law?) of unintended consequences. May end up with striper being used in cat food or for fertilizer, or shipped to countries that are not so particular about whats in their fish. 

Could happen. Did in my country with baltic salmon. Too much dioxin in the fish to sell for human consumption, but then no problem. We just use it for mink food. Despite the fact that 1 kilo salmon is worth 150 $ when caught by a sports fisherman. Humans are a really clever animal.

Sorry forgot to warn u guys about Norvegian salmon from Marine fish farms. Dont buy it. Filled with all kind of toxic ****, plus they completely destroy the natural Salmon in Norway. 

58 mins ago, wikinglars said:

Could happen. Did in my country with baltic salmon. Too much dioxin in the fish to sell for human consumption, but then no problem. We just use it for mink food. Despite the fact that 1 kilo salmon is worth 150 $ when caught by a sports fisherman. Humans are a really clever animal.

That is very depressing.  More reason for fisherman to stand up in the US and demand gamefish status for striped bass.  

On 10/9/2019 at 4:07 PM, Hook I said:

eat the small ones 16" and under , they taste great ...you will be safe =  let the Big Ones Go ! 

Ohh here we go....

We've brought up many times at ASMFC meetings about the PCB levels in striped bass and consumption advisories in many states, but it never gets taken into consideration. I've even mentioned that cigarette cartons have a warning, but not packages of striped bass fillets, even though they are thought to be harmful to unborn babies. 

On 10/9/2019 at 0:59 PM, Drew C. said:

I have always wondered why no one has gone after this. Bass are not a staple in anyone’s diet, too expensive. It’s an occasional treat for some. I always think that the people that are paying $25/lb or $30/plate would not do so if they knew how bad it was. 

all we need is one millennial worried about their little snowflake. 

Tuna is one of the worst species out there to consume due to mercury etc and yet they are probably the most popular fish in the world for consumption.  I don't think it will make a difference but one can hope.

On 10/11/2019 at 5:55 AM, wikinglars said:

Sorry forgot to warn u guys about Norvegian salmon from Marine fish farms. Dont buy it. Filled with all kind of toxic ****, plus they completely destroy the natural Salmon in Norway. 

if it says "farm" anywhere on it you should just assume it is not worth eating anyway.  No matter where it is from and for various reasons

Iv been drinking the broth from a 5 hour stock utilizing the head of a bass a few onions and celery.  I wonder what excessive consumption does to a human? Butter basting a whole filet tomorrow to find out.