Striped Bass Health Warning and Conservation

Rate this topic

Bucko

Health warnings concerning wild Striped Bass get little media coverage. The information I read is concerning. Multiple states appear to advocate limiting consumption to 4-12 times a year due to mercury and PCB contaminants. Children and pregnant women are advised not to eat Striper at all.

As a part of a Striped Bass conservation effort the public should be made aware of the health risks associated with consuming Striped Bass. Signage in fishing spots, boat launches, marinas and at fish market counters will at least make people aware of the potential dangers in consuming Striper.

If the public becomes more aware of the danger in consuming wild caught stripers won’t conservation efforts be augmented?

I have always wondered why no one has gone after this. Bass are not a staple in anyone’s diet, too expensive. It’s an occasional treat for some. I always think that the people that are paying $25/lb or $30/plate would not do so if they knew how bad it was. 

all we need is one millennial worried about their little snowflake. 

ASMFC - Destroying public resources and fisheries one stock at a time since 1942.

Now if some "privileged" or "entitled" waste-product spawn were to contract an illness from shooting methadone while vaping and eating striped bass, maybe they'll become concerned about the link between the illness and the bass, but that's never going to happen...because these "waste-products" don't know how to fish. 

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!

Pregnant or child bearing aged women should not eat it. Same with kids. 

think about that, seriously. Then consider what it costs. $25/lb for a fish that arguably 1/3 the population should NEVER eat. 

ASMFC - Destroying public resources and fisheries one stock at a time since 1942.

18 mins ago, Drew C. said:

Pregnant or child bearing aged women should not eat it. Same with kids. 

think about that, seriously. Then consider what it costs. $25/lb for a fish that arguably 1/3 the population should NEVER eat. 

When I tell people they don't believe me.  Same issue with eating salmon out of Lake Ontario.  No one realizes how bad it is for them. 

Some the greatest game fish here in the ne and arguably one of the greatest for the country has a viable commercial fishery for a product that shouldn’t ever be eaten. 

yeah, makes perfect sense. 

Well, somthins gonna getchu. But, if it reduces demand we oughta use this info. Just remember the rule (law?) of unintended consequences. May end up with striper being used in cat food or for fertilizer, or shipped to countries that are not so particular about whats in their fish. 

1 min ago, Good2Go said:

Well, somthins gonna getchu. But, if it reduces demand we oughta use this info. Just remember the rule (law?) of unintended consequences. May end up with striper being used in cat food or for fertilizer, or shipped to countries that are not so particular about whats in their fish. 

I think that’s a bit of a stretch.... 

but if more people knew there would certainly be less demand. We need a ‘safe seafood act’ where any consumption advisories appear on the menu or right next to the fish at the fish market. I doubt people would pay a premium if they saw that and I doubt that they would go ahead and purchase it. 

8 mins ago, Lateral Line said:

So my striped bass was in the oven while an idling diesel delivery truck was out front dropping a proposition 65 designated product at my door. All this while applying weed killer to my highly fertilized lawn.

Yes, in the greater scheme of things it’s not major. Cigarettes, booze, etc. there are a ton of things that cause issues. 

But ... PCBs, id prefer no to mess with that ****. And given the herd mentality of the general public I think being aware of issues can only help. 

it’s potentially any tool in the box. 

ps - if you want to see something interesting look at the states individually to what they’re advisories are. Some are pretty restrictive some aren’t. The ones that aren’t have larger commercial fisheries...

the fish in MD today can be of ME in a few weeks, vice versa. 

Edited by Drew C.

Here's an interesting point to consider....do they know where the fish are ingesting the majority of these chemicals?

Are they migrators from Delaware? New York?

Are they resident fish that stay here year round?

Seeing that the fish are most likely migratory fish, and spend time north and south, you'd have to look to see which region has the highest likelihood of mercury contamination. Unfortunately, pretty much EVERYONE treated their lumber or dumped their chemical waste into resident waterways, so it wouldn't be just one region.

Now....if there are incidents of people dumping illegally recently, then  you'd have a tangible target to aim for....

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!

13 mins ago, Lateral Line said:

So my striped bass was in the oven while an idling diesel delivery truck was out front dropping a proposition 65 designated product at my door. All this while applying weed killer to my highly fertilized lawn.

Yum. What time is dinner?