norcalkat

Lightweight surf top?

Rate this topic

26 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I wish the manufactures would rate their jackets by temperature... I'm in SO CA and some times need a waterproof jacket during the winter.. Some mornings start out in the in the mid 30s 40s and wind up in the low 70s later in the day... I carry nothing but my fishing rod and wear a vest for the gear... I basically need a w/p wind breaker with a light liner.. And a detachable or fold away hood (because of the vest)... I really am not in to layers, as I have no where to put them... Any ideas? Sorry to norcalkat, if I derailed his search...

Butch

And I don't want a pull over...Zippered front please..

Edited by Midnightpass

I wouldn't recommend anything other than guy cotton's breathable top,  It's incredible in the temps you are looking for.  Only downside is 250+$  Here in NJ, I wear it from about end of May thru October and then switch to the heavier guy cotton

21 mins ago, pescatore said:

Lots of paddling tops (which is basically what the Montauk is) available at reasonable prices if you look. Try the big outdoor shops like EMS, REI...

This!! 

My primary jacket warm weather is a NRS kayak jacket. 

The big online kayak shop named for a texas city begins with A.

Go to their clearance sale section. Get a breathable paddling top. I paid 90 for mine it was discontinued and 400 new.

2 hours ago, Goldy said:

I wouldn't recommend anything other than guy cotton's breathable top,  It's incredible in the temps you are looking for.  Only downside is 250+$  Here in NJ, I wear it from about end of May thru October and then switch to the heavier guy cotton

Goldy, are you talking about the efficient top and then switching to the heavier Dremtech? I was looking at the Montauk top, but really wish it had a hood. But that said, it’s a big jump in $$ to the efficient top. I’ve had the black dremtech top, and it’s a killer top, but i was always overheated during summer months.

6 mins ago, Mack26 said:

Goldy, are you talking about the efficient top and then switching to the heavier Dremtech? I was looking at the Montauk top, but really wish it had a hood. But that said, it’s a big jump in $$ to the efficient top. I’ve had the black dremtech top, and it’s a killer top, but i was always overheated during summer months.

Yes, I didn't have the name exactly, but that is correct.. I use the efficient surf top a lot.  The Dremtech is my march april early may top and late oct november top in NJ.  The other one is the rest.  

I wore it in august b/c I didn't want to get suntanned like crazy... Works awesome

9 mins ago, Goldy said:

Yes, I didn't have the name exactly, but that is correct.. I use the efficient surf top a lot.  The Dremtech is my march april early may top and late oct november top in NJ.  The other one is the rest.  

I wore it in august b/c I didn't want to get suntanned like crazy... Works awesome

Thanks for the clarification bud! 

2 hours ago, C.Robin said:

I'd rather get wet than wear a surf top in 70 degree weather. A light rain coat is fine if you aren't swimming.

Depends on how what what style of fishing you are doing...I wear a Stormr pullover surf top from start of the spring until around mid June, then I will jump into a wet suit; but if its a cooler windier night and I dont forsee myself swimming Ill keep waders on with boardshorts underneath and my surf top on on top as protection in case of a fall on barnacle covered boulder fields.