norcalkat

Lightweight surf top?

Rate this topic

26 posts in this topic

I am looking for a lightweight surf top that I can use in the summer around 60-70 degree weather.  I have a Stormr Stryker and that thing is a beast of a jacket and it is way too much of a jacket for those conditions.  I was looking at the Stormr Surf Top with the front pocket.   My main concern would be its just as warm as the stryker, anyone have one?  Im open to any recommendations also.  There is times I an walking for miles and you build up so much heat, having a jacket like that just gets me burning in the summer.  

Posted (edited) · Report post

Stormr Nano jacket was made for warm climate rains. I think it would be good as a spray jacket for our summers. Grundéns also makes a similar warm weather product. It’s called Stormlight. I just bought a used Stormr surf top with the pocket. It’s made from the same neoprene as my Typhoon, but no zipper. Anything above 60° and you will cook in the summer.  

Edited by telecronista
B

My wife bought me a water resistant Northface jacket last year. It has a removable lining for when it's cold, but the outer shell is perfect for the kind of weather you're talking about. It's not water proof by any means, but it can take a good amount of spray and still keep you dry and comfortable.

Any extra layer over a shirt in the summer is too much layering in my opinion. Though the guy cotton top seems to be comfortable for many guys in the summer. Just not during the day. Just got to deal with the temps in the summer and a little sweat if you want to wear a top 

Guy Cotton Montauk is lightweight and pretty great in my opinion.  May be the best i have ever owned.

I have a Helly Hansen HP Smock Top that's super lightweight and has a neck gusset as well as neoprene cuffs and waist adjustment. It's not 100% dry from the top, but really keeps most water out. It's as thin as a thin rainjacket; 1 layer of material. I wear it all the time in 55-65 degree temps. Anything colder I go to a more substantial jacket. Warmer and you'll definitely sweat.

2 hours ago, TopwaterPete said:

I have a Helly Hansen HP Smock Top that's super lightweight and has a neck gusset as well as neoprene cuffs and waist adjustment. It's not 100% dry from the top, but really keeps most water out. It's as thin as a thin rainjacket; 1 layer of material. I wear it all the time in 55-65 degree temps. Anything colder I go to a more substantial jacket. Warmer and you'll definitely sweat.

That sounds about what I am looking for, thank you!

I've got a light weight top from west Marine. West marine branded. I may as well fish without a top. Does nothing to prevent water intrusion. And it wasn't exactly cheap. $100ish on sale. Avoid. 

15 hours ago, norcalkat said:

That sounds about what I am looking for, thank you!

I will tell you it's not a perfect top, but it's been decent, and has done the job. It's built well, which is expected of H/H

The stormr nano has worked well for me in summer this year. Real light, good for keeping the spray and bugs off you. If it's real warm get ready to sweat no matter what thin top you have on.

On 10/9/2019 at 11:25 AM, Kooky said:

Guy Cotton Montauk is lightweight and pretty great in my opinion.  May be the best i have ever owned.

Kooky, i was looking into this top. Do you know if they run true to size? I would like to layer a little underneath if needed, but don’t want anything too big. Just curious if you had any opinion?

5 hours ago, Mack26 said:

Kooky, i was looking into this top. Do you know if they run true to size? I would like to layer a little underneath if needed, but don’t want anything too big. Just curious if you had any opinion?

They are pretty straight forward like a shirt size. I’m 6’ 200lbs and the xlarge fits me perfectly. I can wear a wetsuit or a fleece under depending how I’m fishing. Couldn’t fit a coat under. 

10 mins ago, Kooky said:

They are pretty straight forward like a shirt size. I’m 6’ 200lbs and the xlarge fits me perfectly. I can wear a wetsuit or a fleece under depending how I’m fishing. Couldn’t fit a coat under. 

Ok thanks, appreciate it. I’m only 5’7” so it sounds like a large will be good. I was wondering if an under layer would make it too snug, but it doesn’t sound like it.

Thank you sir! :howdy: