Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
2sammich

Bimini tops

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

I need a top for my boat, it will be in salt. The cost to upgrade to stainless frame and hardware is roughly double. Is it worth it? 

I'm looking for an 8' long top, any other suggestion or info about manufacturers etc., would be helpful.

Ss will just be shiny longer vs aluminum. Both same strength . The aluminum can still be polished to keep shiny. The hardware  is what will count. The plastic slide adj clips will break and don't hold  they are junk.  Just make sure if you can that they have big set screws  or once you have it set , you can drill a small hole into the tube and let it set into the frame. This will help it  from sliding.   

You can spend 100 for a top that you might need 2 for a boat for, or many hundreds for one.....

I bought the cheap one, but bought spare plastic pivot pieces for it. marine rv direct on ebay.  Thought it was pretty good for the price.  Got one that was an inch wider than they say it was for my little 16ft deep v tinboat.  But, it was the only way to get a 8ft long one.  Works fine.  

Actually forgot to put it down one time.  went 10 miles at 60mph.  Still just fine.....

My factory bimini for my 2008 Wellcraft Sportsman is aluminum with what appears to be stainless hardwear.  No plastic.  The thing still looks new.  I would avoid plastic parts and make sure the fabric is of good quality.  I believe mine is Sunbrella.

I put a Stainless Steel frame on my boat when I replaced the Bimini.  I purchased the set up from an outfit up in Canada.  All components are stainless.  Adds quite a bit of weight to the top.  Not a problem trying to raise or lower it, but a pain when I try and take it off or put it on the fly bridge at the beginning and end of the season.  You might need a second set of hands for that.  

The stainless still gets some surface rust but you can prevent it with a coat of wax.  

I made one change in the top, I changed the clips on the straps to Suncor stainless swivel clips.  Helps with how the clips sit on my fly bridge.

I need to look around for the invoice, but the difference between aluminum and stainless was no where near double the price.   But that was 3 years ago.

Edited by 31BBert

I relocated the website that I ordered the top from.   It is a company called ANP Inc.  The pricing difference from Aluminum to Stainless is about $200.  

Try searching for them online and you can get the pricing by just building the top on their site.