Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
salt deficient

pedal kayak deals? Hobie model?

18 posts in this topic

I want to buy a kayak for freshwater lakes / ponds and some back bays.  Probably won't venture out into the inlet or out of it much.

Think the mirage passport will be stable enough.  10.5 feet seems small.  I'm 5'10 and about 210lbs.  Putting a fishfinder, small battery.  May just need a small biat bucket for live minnows.  This kayak may go through weedy spots if it can handle it, or it must be able to come out of the water fairly easily while on the kayak.  I have a helix 5 or 7 on my 16ft tin boat.

Good chance of buying new.  Somewhere around $1500.

I am also looking for a better than a basic 9ft kayak for cruising / fishing  Maybe $700 or so range

There are places around that have sales on demo boats this time of year. For your price point you may be able to try a pre-2019 Outback for a similar price, or at least look at some comparisons. 

Check craig's list. They sell some new hobie kayaks that are left overs.

The actual dealers seem adverse to advertising deals on hobies but they will

list them on craig's list. Not sure why that is ? 

If you want to buy new, you might want to look at the Passport 12 over the 10.5. Apparently it will be more fish finder-friendly and I'm guessing it's more stable as well. You won't be able to find any deals on it, though, because it either hasn't hit dealers quite yet.

You might be able to find a Compass demo if you call around to dealers, but the price would likely be close or still a little more than the Passport.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I saw a 2011 outback for sale for $1000.   Comes with a pedal drive too.  its on western mass craigslist

What should I be looking at in the hull and drive If I take a look?

Also, what do you guys like for a kayak rod setup?  length, action, and lb test.

Never saltwater kayaked before.  Taking my good 3500 spinfisher with 10lb braid and a 7ft med rod and see what I can catch for sea bass, fluke, or tog.  Some perception swifty 9.5's i bought last year will be out there.  Bringing some cheap heavier 7ft rods with 15lb mono to cast n jig slugos.  nothing too nice incase I flip.  Judith point RI backbay.  Maybe go inside of seawall if conditions are calm for tog.

Edited by salt deficient

I'd wait for the passport 12 about a month or so if you can or look for a used or demo compass. The passport 10.5 is actually really stable and I have stood and fished on it. The big issue doing that is it's a long way down to the seat when you go to sit haha, my 2019 outback with the seat in the high position is much easier and better outfitted but a totally different price category.

Call the dealers, talk with them directly.  I just let my last two OT Top Water PDL's go at a steep discount. Brand new, full warranty & free delivery (local :)). 

On 10/9/2019 at 7:11 AM, salt deficient said:

I want to buy a kayak for freshwater lakes / ponds and some back bays.  Probably won't venture out into the inlet or out of it much.

Think the mirage passport will be stable enough.  10.5 feet seems small.  I'm 5'10 and about 210lbs.  Putting a fishfinder, small battery.  May just need a small biat bucket for live minnows.  This kayak may go through weedy spots if it can handle it, or it must be able to come out of the water fairly easily while on the kayak.  I have a helix 5 or 7 on my 16ft tin boat.

Good chance of buying new.  Somewhere around $1500.

I am also looking for a better than a basic 9ft kayak for cruising / fishing  Maybe $700 or so range

The Old Town Topwater 106 has Plenty of room to fish from and will carry your weight and leg inseam easily.  You will have plenty of room to fish from. You can find it on sale often in the budget you are looking for.  Where it falls short is in bigger water and it will perform like any short, wide and high kayak will in the chop including the Hobie Passport.  

I use my 106 in backwater offseason late fall and winter fishing in calm waters. Its a tug to move around but launching out of the pick up fulled rigged and ready with the shortest portage possible works for me.

I would check the reviews on the pelican before I paid any money at all for it. They have been having terrible problems. In addition to this guys issues, I've seen in person; cranks snapping, wells failing and masts break. Point is, if you want a good fin drive, don't buy it from someone who can't even properly reverse engineer something that's been around for 20 years.

Edited by monstahfish

17 mins ago, monstahfish said:

I would check the reviews on the pelican before I paid any money at all for it. They have been having terrible problems. In addition to this guys issues, I've seen in person; cranks snapping, wells failing and masts break. Point is, if you want a good fin drive, don't buy it from someone who can't even properly reverse engineer something that's been around for 20 years.

Can you please show us details or tell us where to find where the wells cracked? I am interested in that.  

I don't have any photos or anything but the front of the drive spine punched right through the front lip at bottom of the well. We popped the drive back but if you put too much force on it, it'll happen again.

On 10/9/2019 at 8:02 AM, dbjpb said:

Check craig's list. They sell some new hobie kayaks that are left overs.

The actual dealers seem adverse to advertising deals on hobies but they will

list them on craig's list. Not sure why that is ? 

some dealers are suppose to follow strict pricing from the manufacturer

1 hour ago, kombi_rs said:

some dealers are suppose to follow strict pricing from the manufacturer

Exactly. It’s often referred to as MAP, or minimum advertised price. A dealer can sell for any amount, but they’re not allowed to advertise a price below MAP unless they mark the item as a demo, B-stock, etc.

Edited by fishinbill