westcoastnewguy

surf rod length

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

just started to get into striper fishing off the beach, ocean beach - pacifica.   this was the first year out of many, that I've actually caught a fish.

used a spinning 8' 6" salmon/steelhead rod.  looking to get a surf set up.

read that elder guys prefer 10' and others like 11' surf poles, 

I'm mainly throwing lures, sp's or metal, so why not 12' if it's gonna cast further and it's in the lure weight range I'm using ?

thanks for all input

I am looking for a 12 foot that will cast lures like the Lucky Craft and maybe a SP minnow and is light as in below 10 oz in weight.  I think most guys around here use 9 or 10ft rods.  I am usually the only one with a 10.5 or 11 ft rod on the beach unless they are bait fishing.

12ft rods are usually heavy and rated for 2oz and more which don't make them good lure rods unless you are casting 2-4 oz lures like on the east coast.  A 12 ft rod will cast farther assuming it is rated right for the weight of the lure and your casting technique is good.  Wind resistance on the lure, braid, etc and casting a heavier rod will limit those theoretical benefits.

If you can find a 12 ft rod rated less than 1/2 oz to 2 or 3 oz and weighs close to 6oz, I would be interested also. My Okuma Rockaway 11ft weighs 10oz which is light but I have seen lighter with imports. I would recommend looking at their 12 ft version. Popular brands are Phenix, G Loomis, G-Rod, ODM to a St. Croix or Tsunami.

I saw that okuma Rockaway 12' comes in two different rods - med 3/4 - 3oz and med heavy 1 - 4oz.  both at 11oz.

figured the med 3/4 - 3oz would be the ticket since I'm mostly throwing sp, spoons, 1oz jigs.

how do you like the Rockaway so far ?

Keep in mind that your strike zone may not be that far out. Lots of members here use 10-11 foot rods for slinging lures but that seems to be the max for day-in, day-out use.  And lots of guys here are happy with their 9 footers as well.

If you’re fishing a location where you are getting to the strike zone on an 8’6” steelie rod with sp minnows, you don’t need a 12 foot rod. Maybe consider a st croix mojo or, somewhat higher end, a century slingshot. The 10’6” in both of these will give 1-2 oz lures plenty of distance. I’m sure other members will jump in with other recommendations. By the way, read the thread on surf setups.

Also, once you have enough posts, start reaching out to our local plug builders. You will get good advice on lures and how to use them. 

Welcome.

23 hours ago, westcoastnewguy said:

how do you like the Rockaway so far ?

For the price, it is a great value.  I also have 10.5' rod JDM or Japanese imports which weigh 6.2 oz (Shimano Dialuna and Daiwa Labrax AGS) which are my dream rods but in the $300 range.  I was just using the 11' Rockaway casting for salmon with flying C's last week.  The rod's handle is good for long casts but too long for the constant casting every other minute.  You can't trust any manufacturer's stated lure range for casting lures well.  If it says lure weight rating 1-4 oz, most cast 2-3 well and start to lob at 4oz.  I would guess the 3/4-3oz Rockaway would cast SP minnows well also.  My lure rods have shorter butt ends but I would give the Rockaway a try at the $110-120 price.

On 10/11/2019 at 0:15 AM, Draekon said:

.  I would guess the 3/4-3oz Rockaway would cast SP minnows well also.  My lure rods have shorter butt ends but I would give the Rockaway a try at the $110-120 price.

11' Rockaway cast great.

I  casting from 5/8 to 1.5 oz, getting a great distance, just below bars on south shore beaches.

On my beach fishing, I bring only those 3 rods, and I use them in this order:

1. 10' Rockaway, rated 1/2 to 2oz

2. 11' Rockaway, rated 3/4 to 3oz, if I need few yards extra, for distance,

3. spare rod, 10' Rockaway, rated 3/4 to 3oz.

Why not? Fatigue mainly, leverage another, with individual fishing style (casting, bait preferences since you work em all different) and frequented areas ( shorter lengths tend to be handier and more maneuverable) playing smaller roles in my opinion.

I consider surf casting to be throwing in the salt from shore, and that really takes in a whole range of stuff. 7’6 to 10’ does all I need it to, and wouldn’t be the same for someone else.

The old farts I see around here are throwing 11 ft rods most of the season.  This elder guy, when I fished a lot :), preferred 11ft for most of my season, but enjoyed throwing a 9ft for early season small fish and perch.  A couple of really old guys here throw Rainshadow SU1386s which are 11.5 ft.  That rod is very light and casts great, but they don't make that rod/blank anymore.

Look at the rods out there and there aren't many that are 12 ft that are tailored for plugging, but there are a TON of options for plugging between 8 and 11 ft.  I like options...my wallet, not so much :).  The weight and length start working against you at some point and it might be that the industry and fisherman have figured out that after 11 ft, you end up with a rod that can't throw as far or maybe just a little farther, but you give up a lot for handling.

I think its more important to find the action that matches your casting style and lures you are throwing.  I've never used a 12 ft for plugging, but can imagine that it would be heavier and harder to throw because of the length.

I've missed the fling for the last couple of years, but is the best place to wiggle a large variety of sticks.  Its hard to go to a tackle shop and wiggle a stick to try to figure out if you like it...unless you have a ton of rods at home to compare to.

You might be able to find a 12 or 13 ft carp rod with 2 1/2 lb or 3 lb rating that would work, but its a risk buying one just to try it out.

On 10/13/2019 at 11:18 AM, put_em_back said:

The old farts I see around here are throwing 11 ft rods most of the season.  This elder guy, when I fished a lot :), preferred 11ft for most of my season, but enjoyed throwing a 9ft for early season small fish and perch.  A couple of really old guys here throw Rainshadow SU1386s which are 11.5 ft.  That rod is very light and casts great, but they don't make that rod/blank anymore.

Look at the rods out there and there aren't many that are 12 ft that are tailored for plugging, but there are a TON of options for plugging between 8 and 11 ft.  I like options...my wallet, not so much :).  The weight and length start working against you at some point and it might be that the industry and fisherman have figured out that after 11 ft, you end up with a rod that can't throw as far or maybe just a little farther, but you give up a lot for handling.

I think its more important to find the action that matches your casting style and lures you are throwing.  I've never used a 12 ft for plugging, but can imagine that it would be heavier and harder to throw because of the length.

I've missed the fling for the last couple of years, but is the best place to wiggle a large variety of sticks.  Its hard to go to a tackle shop and wiggle a stick to try to figure out if you like it...unless you have a ton of rods at home to compare to.

You might be able to find a 12 or 13 ft carp rod with 2 1/2 lb or 3 lb rating that would work, but its a risk buying one just to try it out.

I was just thinking about why there isn't any trade shows around that features surf fishing stuff - very few vendors at the international sportsmen's exposition in Sacramento.

read about the fling and would of definitely shown up this year.  hopefully next year will work and my credit card won't care what is being put on it.

I'll learn from the old farts and keep in mind about fatigue and rod control. 

On 10/12/2019 at 9:11 PM, Popasilov said:

11' Rockaway cast great.

I  casting from 5/8 to 1.5 oz, getting a great distance, just below bars on south shore beaches.

On my beach fishing, I bring only those 3 rods, and I use them in this order:

1. 10' Rockaway, rated 1/2 to 2oz

2. 11' Rockaway, rated 3/4 to 3oz, if I need few yards extra, for distance,

3. spare rod, 10' Rockaway, rated 3/4 to 3oz.

what reel and size are you using on the 11' ?

I'm thinking of getting that same rod, when it goes on sale.

I was looking at the tsunami 4000 shield or penn spinfisher vi 5500 long cast.

6 hours ago, westcoastnewguy said:

what reel and size are you using on the 11' ?

I'm thinking of getting that same rod, when it goes on sale.

I was looking at the tsunami 4000 shield or penn spinfisher vi 5500 long cast.

11' has a Daiwa 4000 Strikeforce; other two have Shimano IX 4000

Shimano reels are one size smaller than Daiwa