fatbikerjoe

Explain the winds

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

The winds are supposed to shift from out of the Northeast later this week.  Why is this a bad thing?  I thought if the winds come from the Northeast, Montauk Point was the place to be?  Is this the same for the open south shore beaches?  What about the north shore?  Shouldn't that push the bait up close to the shoreline on the North Shore?  Would it push the bait out to sea on the south shore?  The wind should be at your back on the south shore, so should be easier to cast?

Posted (edited) · Report post

I prefer north east winds at the spots I fish, it intensifies rising water, generates stronger current that coalesce bodies of bait Into confined areas seeking shelter from current and tidal force.  Not the case for all areas though which brings me to my primary point, winds influence spots differently in part due to tide and in different ways depending on how both forces move through, over or past various structure as well as how they affect eachother in any given area.  Different baits respond differently to winds and tide....for example bunker tend to push in toward respective wind direction, on an open beach the upwelling generated by north east winds as well as the side shore currents from intensified tides produce ideal feeding conditions for bunker, which then attract predators.  In other situations a hard on-shore wind is best when small bait are present and outgoing water highlight the various troughs and points most open beach environments offer. Different bait, opposite wind and tide. Be open minded about when you fish.

Edited by DeepBlue85

lets break it down into "onshore" vs "off shore wind"... if you are on a south shore beach like Jones, a wind from the north is blowing "offshore".

Typically "offshore" wind on a south shore beach makes for clean waves... Tight lines

3 mins ago, GarbageFish said:

lets break it down into "onshore" vs "off shore wind"... if you are on a south shore beach like Jones, a wind from the north is blowing "offshore".

Typically "offshore" wind on a south shore beach makes for clean waves... Tight lines

That's great for surfing, but doesn't that push the bait out?

Loaded question...spots will produce best under certain conditions...wind being one factor but also available forage, structure, time, tide, moon phase, season, etc.  A NE wind, irrespective of Montauk, coincides with a low pressure system (storm) that many believe the fish “feel” and can spark intense feeding prior to conditions deteriorating too much that they may not be able to feed as well.  Local knowledge is paramount.

I fish a beach when SW winds catch fish non stop, same beach SW winds not a bite. Time of year, bait present, water temp.....winds are important but they are just 1 piece of the pie.

There’s a lot of variables to this one so I will stick to the northeast wind on the south shore scenario. Simply put, any east wind will create surf on the south shore which in turn can spark the surf bite. A hard Northeast this time of year will also act to push bait out of the bays and get them moving along the beach. Mullet in particular will always move close to the shoreline. Couple this with some good structure + white water and you have the makings for some prime feeding opportunities for gamefish.