JerseyMike609

Jersey Lures

Rate this topic

94 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, ChewyBrigantine said:

Darters are not jersey lures? 

Shallow moving water in inlets doesn't call for a darter? I have literally been in dozens of bites catching fish in NJ on darters. By no means is that a "New York lure"... maybe you haven't had success with them, but everyone I fish with uses them all spring with great succcess in NJ

No where on the east coast are more Darters being thrown than Montauk. My point is the waters And conditions  there are much more conducive to Darters as opposed to needing inlet conditions here in NJ. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, jsbergen said:

Darters are certainly not Jersey lures. They are definitely a Montauk/Long Island lure though.  I swear I see guys throw darters because all the big name surfcasters in NY do. NJ does not have waters where true darters are meant for atleast not with any consistency. 

Yea lol that's exactly why I try throwing them once and a while but I feel like a fish out of water.Thats why I made the post see if anyone is fishing things I wouldn't even think about and so far besides a couple people throwing darters it's pretty much what I'm used to,Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

But I'm gunna keep tossing them till i get bit and I'll take it from there.I try to throw things I'm not to comfortable with incase that day comes when everyone is catching on something I dont normally throw I'll still have an idea how to fish it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ChewyBrigantine said:

laser sardine or yellow in the 5 inch if only one/two. early spring i like those two colors as well in the 4 inch for smaller back bay fish and weakies in april even march. 

You and your damn colors chewy.  Your gonna fish a bright green next time

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, JerseyMike609 said:

If you needed to choose one what size and color would you grab?

Mag darter 5”.  White. I always have a handful around in the truck.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 mins ago, jsbergen said:

No where on the east coast are more Darters being thrown than Montauk. My point is the waters And conditions  there are much more conducive to Darters as opposed to needing inlet conditions here in NJ. 

They're used widely in RI, and CT, Mass as well. Definelty agree that in Montauk  they are the most popular lure. When theres fish around feeding theres so many lures that they'll eat no doubt. I would say the needle fish is a lure that ive literally never caughten a fish on in NJ, but im sure people obviously have. 

But still fishing in NJ at night (spring) over fall. The darter is the first thing out of my bag in atleast three spots i fish on a regular basis. They just flat out catch fish.. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 mins ago, Goldy said:

You and your damn colors chewy.  Your gonna fish a bright green next time

Yellow and black are my favorite colors. I think we can agree that its the profile not the color (most) of the time that makes the difference.. I'm not even sure I have any green plugs in my rotation right now lol.. Maybe a northbar or two to feed bluefish 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, JerseyMike609 said:

You fish the egg in Jersey?

 

i do.  Check that, not always an egg.  More often I use a larger plug/pooper with hook(s) removed to serve the same purpose.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 mins ago, ChewyBrigantine said:

I would say the needle fish is a lure that ive literally never caughten a fish on in NJ,

 

+1 .    I dont think I can claim a single fish on a needle.  I dont fish them much at all (anymore) though.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 mins ago, bayyaker54 said:

Home grown, RG glider

34D7191E-4AA6-4581-BB57-66995CD09E48.jpeg.07b4fedf5fa01674fc8702893543e2f6.jpeg

I could def not swap out rear for flag. Does it affect action.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 mins ago, 55555s said:

 

+1 .    I dont think I can claim a single fish on a needle.  I dont fish them much at all (anymore) though.  

Lol, Were still catching them old school out here in Jersey! Nothing fancy....  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 mins ago, ChewyBrigantine said:

They're used widely in RI, and CT, Mass as well. Definelty agree that in Montauk  they are the most popular lure. When theres fish around feeding theres so many lures that they'll eat no doubt. I would say the needle fish is a lure that ive literally never caughten a fish on in NJ, but im sure people obviously have. 

But still fishing in NJ at night (spring) over fall. The darter is the first thing out of my bag in atleast three spots i fish on a regular basis. They just flat out catch fish.. 

Do you go with a Dark color at night or do you fish the same colors regardless?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.