JerseyMike609

Jersey Lures

Rate this topic

94 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, TopwaterPete said:

+1 on the Darters, Danny, and Needlefish; I'm born and raised in North Jersey but learned how to surf fish on the south shore of Long Island. Caught quite a few bass on those lures and continued the trend in NJ. I still have 3 Vision Sandeels and will fish them til the bluefish do them in!

You can still get vision sandeels. I know one shop still has them

1 hour ago, jsbergen said:

Darters are certainly not Jersey lures. They are definitely a Montauk/Long Island lure though.  I swear I see guys throw darters because all the big name surfcasters in NY do. NJ does not have waters where true darters are meant for atleast not with any consistency. 

Im sorry i agree with chewy. If darters arent jersey lures. How did i catch this

CEDEADB9-8FE1-4AAD-BC7E-4E8216AB278E.jpeg

12 mins ago, Goldy said:

Im sorry i agree with chewy. If darters arent jersey lures. How did i catch this

CEDEADB9-8FE1-4AAD-BC7E-4E8216AB278E.jpeg

That's a notch-finned striper, indigenous to CT/NY waters.  Probably migrated down here after the tourists left.

13 hours ago, Saltine109 said:

Same, I have one, never fish it. I just started utilizing a talking popper which I've finally learned how to ****ing fish. Now it's fun casting out, otherwise, I truly lacked in my topwater game. Otherwise, a midnight blue mag darter, yo zuri hydro minnow (also sp minnows, chicken scratch specifically) and a plethora of shads have been my number 1#'s (the heavy sinking white tsunami shad has come in handy so many times, especially in heavy wind. a must have 

20191009_014544.jpg

What is the name of that rack?I just made a post on tackle storage and I could use this!

Bucktails

Darters

Bottles

Teaser

Dannys

Rubber

Glider

Bullet/Stubby

Pikie

MD

Sp

Papa

Usually in that order. Sp and MD are low because I dont like throwing those instant fish catchers

5 hours ago, Mantra said:

needlefish, bombers, sp minnows, tins

If you had to choose 1 what size and color would it be?I've been throwing the red eye eely but sometimes I do better with the smaller one.

Posted (edited) · Report post

one - needlefish     color - yellow    6 3/8" yellow eye - I think its 1 1/2 oz

Edited by Mantra

15 mins ago, JerseyMike609 said:

If you needed to choose one what size and color would you grab?

laser sardine or yellow in the 5 inch if only one/two. early spring i like those two colors as well in the 4 inch for smaller back bay fish and weakies in april even march. 

Just now, ChewyBrigantine said:

laser sardine or yellow in the 5 inch if only one/two. early spring i like those two colors as well in the 4 inch for smaller back bay fish and weakies in april even march. 

might not be "laser sardine" i forget the name of the exact color now actually but its like blue/black on top ad silver with some dots, think it matches alot of the bait around jersey (peauts), by far my top producer

5 hours ago, 55555s said:

Ava, MamboMinnow, deadly dick, littleneckpopper are some standards from a guy who fishes more than I do.

SpMinnow, bucktail, kastmaster, egg n teaser are some gotos for me.

You fish the egg in Jersey?

7 hours ago, kyleeng said:

Up until now, I've been throwing SP minnows, metals, and bucktails.

I'm trying to learn soft plastics. If anyone has any input on how to fish these in jersey, I'm all ears.

I'm fine with the swimbaits like tsunami/storm/eliasvfishing shads for the most part. But for other types of soft plastics like (maybe zman?), do you guys hop these types along the bottom? Does that work here in jersey?

Start out with with a 1oz jig head and cheap swimbaits like white gotcha 4" and just mess around,everyday and situation is different but I allways have a few on me.

Same options as others said. 

Try different speed of retrieve, colors, sizes, profiles or action until something works. Colors in my bag:

• blurple
  • chicken scratch
  • wonderbread (love this one)
  • school bus
  • bone or white
  • something shiny silver (lures and metals)

I think color in most cases is likely one of the least important factors.

To support that:

There’s a YouTube video of John Skinner catching stripers in the surf on different Sap minnows on the same day, including many while using a funky colored SP with all the paint scratches or worn into something looks nothing like a fish. 

3 hours ago, Mantra said:

one - needlefish     color - yellow    6 3/8" yellow eye - I think its 1 1/2 oz

I dont have any Yellow Needlefish,I'll have to add it to the list.Thanks!

8 hours ago, ChewyBrigantine said:

definitely, shallow water. i Use bucktails alot too which work and darters alot if im in the the inlets....

also lets not forget about eels lol

Darters or Mag Darters?