JerseyMike609

Jersey Lures

Rate this topic

94 posts in this topic

5 mins ago, 55555s said:

First thing on usually.  

definitely, shallow water. i Use bucktails alot too which work and darters alot if im in the the inlets....

also lets not forget about eels lol

My most productive days are usually with pencil poppers (also the most fun way to catch a fish) but regularly throw SP, shads, diamond jigs, dannys and recently gliders. 

10 hours ago, jsbergen said:

Everyone outside of NJ views it as the " pencil popper state". I always found that funny because I have zero love for pencils. probably because im mostly a night guy i guess. 

It was for years.  Back when there were big spring blitzes half the cars on ocean ave all through monmouth county seemed to have a surf rod with a big pencil on them ready for the afternoon blitzes.

+1 on the Darters, Danny, and Needlefish; I'm born and raised in North Jersey but learned how to surf fish on the south shore of Long Island. Caught quite a few bass on those lures and continued the trend in NJ. I still have 3 Vision Sandeels and will fish them til the bluefish do them in!

Posted (edited) · Report post

I remember fishing SH back in the 70's when what was the cove back then was lined with fishermen at dawn.... bass had bunker pinned against the beach and all the guys were casting blue/white Atom swimmers, all we really had..... guys were walkin' off the beach draggin' 30 & 40lb.ers it was something ............

Edited by Mr. Bigdeal

Seems like a bunch of scuba divers on youtube posting videos of them collecting buckets full of lures from the inlets and rocks in Jersey.

What do they do with them?  I figure there'd be a used lure shop somewhere?

3 mins ago, BillHoo said:

Seems like a bunch of scuba divers on youtube posting videos of them collecting buckets full of lures from the inlets and rocks in Jersey.

What do they do with them?  I figure there'd be a used lure shop somewhere?

link that video

20 mins ago, ChewyBrigantine said:

link that video

Do a search for any inlet on youtube with the word scuba and they all show divers just searching around for lures and sinkers.

Here's one for Shark River Inlet - a veritable snag field!  Fishing lure graveyard.

All can usually be found at any B&T, or big box store. 

Deadly Dick

SP Minnow

Hydro Minnow**

Mag Darter**

Bomber**
Swim Shad

Pencil Popper

Bottle Popper

**Usually fished/carried every outting in different sizes/colors

There are other plugs I like, but i'm usually scared that I might lose them and the cost a little bit of coin, so they are fished in very specific conditions. I'll double down and say size often matters, color as well.

4 mins ago, BillHoo said:

Do a search for any inlet on youtube with the word scuba and they all show divers just searching around for lures and sinkers.

Here's one for Shark River Inlet - a veritable snag field!  Fishing lure graveyard.

wow.....

i think theres a wood post out there in corsons with about 5 of my SS darters on it

Up until now, I've been throwing SP minnows, metals, and bucktails.

I'm trying to learn soft plastics. If anyone has any input on how to fish these in jersey, I'm all ears.

I'm fine with the swimbaits like tsunami/storm/eliasvfishing shads for the most part. But for other types of soft plastics like (maybe zman?), do you guys hop these types along the bottom? Does that work here in jersey?

Darters are certainly not Jersey lures. They are definitely a Montauk/Long Island lure though.  I swear I see guys throw darters because all the big name surfcasters in NY do. NJ does not have waters where true darters are meant for atleast not with any consistency. 

1 hour ago, jsbergen said:

Darters are certainly not Jersey lures. They are definitely a Montauk/Long Island lure though.  I swear I see guys throw darters because all the big name surfcasters in NY do. NJ does not have waters where true darters are meant for atleast not with any consistency. 

Darters are not jersey lures? 

Shallow moving water in inlets doesn't call for a darter? I have literally been in dozens of bites catching fish in NJ on darters. By no means is that a "New York lure"... maybe you haven't had success with them, but everyone I fish with uses them all spring with great succcess in NJ