D1fishr

Gibbs modification

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

What are your thoughts on the durability of a Gibbs darter?

It swims pretty good, but I lack confidence due to the lack of through wiring. 

Has anyone ever wired one of these?

what was the outcome?

24702FA0-4AA5-4943-AAC5-741D5F021730.jpeg

8421E29F-5C66-47F6-B17C-5719213DC902.jpeg

90AC08A0-9C42-4DEC-9AA1-D6C05EE1CCF0.jpeg

9E7EC2A8-6C7F-4C96-A3CC-3FA790FBFB37.jpeg

who told you that screw eyes don't work?

they lied to you.

if you can't pull one out what makes you think a fish can?

first-as wire for fire said,they must be properly installed.

second-that includes epoxy on the threads.

I never knew of anyone wiring one but,my thinking on it is it may not work right as the balances will be off due to added weight of the rigging/water being held internally whilst use and the fact that it was designed using all components involved.

I say it will be a wasted plug if you change it.

I could be wrong but,I would have fished it as it was designed to be.

also,not a single one of mine[400+] has "ever" come loose or gotten pulled out or loose.

I don't build with wire,always with screw eyes and they are designed for that purpose.

they have conical threads and are stainless.

cooper's goo-goo eyes swimmers and other models along with gibb's goo-goo eyes  always used screw eyes and still do today.

just saying man!

HH

Edited by Heavy Hooksetter

Thanks guys. An eye was a little loose out of the pack. I turned it down and it got tight. It swam nice. Out of curiosity, I pulled the eyes, and no epoxy or cement of any kind holding those buggers in.  

23 mins ago, D1fishr said:

Thanks guys. An eye was a little loose out of the pack. I turned it down and it got tight. It swam nice. Out of curiosity, I pulled the eyes, and no epoxy or cement of any kind holding those buggers in.  

if I were you,I would get some 15 min epoxy,mix it up and then coat the screw eyes,then drive them in to where they need to be, align them and go fish it.

take your time and do each eye and then wait till it dries,then go on to the next one.

make sure they are bottomed out and when done,,,go fishing with it!

the easiest way is to heat up the plug itself so the epoxy will flow easy and you could either drip it in the hole or coat the screw with it then put it in.

a hair dyer or even better a small portable heater works very well for warming the plug body.

HH

Edited by Heavy Hooksetter

23 hours ago, Wire For Fire said:

Skip the 15 min and get Devon two ton.. let it sit at least a full 24 hours before ya fish it .. 

the 15 minute is devcon 2 ton.

I never heard of it till about 3 years ago.

I suggested it because then what ever extra that's outside the hole will run all over the plug and who would want to sit there for 30 minutes until it won't run?.

HH

12 hours ago, Heavy Hooksetter said:

the 15 minute is devcon 2 ton.

I never heard of it till about 3 years ago.

I suggested it because then what ever extra that's outside the hole will run all over the plug and who would want to sit there for 30 minutes until it won't run?.

HH

I use lots and lots of 2 ton on my surf candies for many years ( when they finally discontinue it I will be sad) .. it don’t set in 15 .. more like 30 to stiffen up and full hour till dry to touch and should really sit for 12 hours or so for a full cure .. 

but yes it’s good stuff .. dries very clear and is strong . Doesn’t yellow .. the 5 min yellows very quickly 

Edited by Wire For Fire

8 hours ago, Wire For Fire said:

I use lots and lots of 2 ton on my surf candies for many years ( when they finally discontinue it I will be sad) .. it don’t set in 15 .. more like 30 to stiffen up and full hour till dry to touch and should really sit for 12 hours or so for a full cure .. 

but yes it’s good stuff .. dries very clear and is strong . Doesn’t yellow .. the 5 min yellows very quickly 

yaa know,back in 07 when I made my first plug,I used devcon and still do to this day.

they changed the package now and it says devcon "Home" on it.

are they going to stop making it?

also,my friend found some other epoxy at the hardware store.

he never used it on his plugs but,after a few years o telling him the spray on clear will come off he now uses this stuff.

HH

https://www.amazon.com/Bob-Smith-Industries-BSI-205-Slow-Cure/dp/B0166FFFS4/ref=sr_1_4?crid=1VAI66L0GB9V9&keywords=devcon+30+minute+epoxy&qid=1570737510&sprefix=devcon+30%2Caps%2C157&sr=8-4