Bigred78

Solo Skiff

7 posts in this topic

I don't know if this is the right place to post this but I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts or experience on the solo skiff. Or really any micro skiff. It seems like something that would drastically increase my range and give me the ability to target some new salt species. I already have a radar 135 but I would feel a lot more comfortable going farther offshore knowing that I can fly back to shore at 15 miles per hour instead of three. It is also supposed to be a lot more stable. Any input would be greatly appreciated. 

I've looked into them.  A few guys love them but many don't.  It's sorta like having a vessel that is a blend of the worst aspects of a kayak and the worst aspects of a skiff.  Plenty for sale and lots of discussion on the skiff forum.

2 mins ago, Cpalms said:

I've looked into them.  A few guys love them but many don't.  It's sorta like having a vessel that is a blend of the worst aspects of a kayak and the worst aspects of a skiff.  Plenty for sale and lots of discussion on the skiff forum.

There is a skiff forum?

Barrell, who used to post here a lot was a early dealer for them and really liked it.  I’ve often thought about getting one, looks like a great powered personal fishing machine and a fraction of the cost of a PWC fishing platform. 

Looks like a really good boat for skinny water fishing. Perfect for stalking redfish and snook in the mangroves. Not practical for the kind of fishing we do here in the northeast.

7 hours ago, Bigred78 said:

I don't know if this is the right place to post this but I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts or experience on the solo skiff. Or really any micro skiff. It seems like something that would drastically increase my range and give me the ability to target some new salt species. I already have a radar 135 but I would feel a lot more comfortable going farther offshore knowing that I can fly back to shore at 15 miles per hour instead of three. It is also supposed to be a lot more stable. Any input would be greatly appreciated. 

I've had one for 3 years. I like it a lot. Like you, I wanted to increase my range and also be able to bounce around to a lot of different spots in less time. I've definitely been able to do that. It hasn't fully replaced my Hobie because I like to do a lot of bottom fishing on small rockpiles, and that's very easy to do with the pedal drive. I've debated getting a trolling motor with the virtual anchor feature, but I'm not yet sure if I want to do that.

It's very stable. Very easy to stand up if you want to stand and fish, or just stretch your legs. Handles well in choppy water too.

Like the kayak, you can make it as simple or as complicated as you want. There are a couple FB groups with lots of discussions, pics, questions, mods, etc.

Weight is a big factor, since it's 150lbs without the motor. Definitely need a cart, unless you only launch from boat ramps. It's not so bad getting it into and out of a pickup bed, which allows me to launch it pretty much anywhere I'd launch a kayak. Many people trailer them though.

It is a unique vessel that people either love, or try it, don't like it and sell. I'd highly advise a test run before you pull the trigger. I understand why it's popular for those who fish flats and skinny water - you can run it in less than a foot of water then stop, stand and sight cast.

I've been looking at the Jonny Boats Bass 100 ...I think it's made by feel free. $900 and you can pair it with a 2.5 hp 4 stroke suzuki for another $900.

There's an optional electric motor that fits in a pod between your knees or you can just put a trolling motor on it if you want to do it on the cheap

If you're looking for something bigger, the Seaeagle Fishskiff 16 inflatable looks like an amazing boat but $$$