BrooklynSurfCaster

Can you put a dry top into a washing machine or dryer?

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

I don't think so. Clean with a soft brush ,soap and water ,hang it up to dry off. I had to spray my Aquaskinz top with waterproof spray as well.

I also hand wash with soap and water. Waterproof jackets with taped seams and washer/dryers dont mix. Just my experience tho. I never do anything to my jackets except spray them down with fresh water unless they get real slimed up

4 hours ago, AlwaysWading said:

I don't think so. Clean with a soft brush ,soap and water ,hang it up to dry off. I had to spray my Aquaskinz top with waterproof spray as well.

Now that is a great idea for keeping it clean...

I hand wash mine with a soft brush and "Sportwash" and then hang dry.  It cleans and preserves the waterproof and breathable qualities of the jackets and waders.

My wife washes my guy cotten top after every trip I have no issues. Hard to dry though, I usually hang it up for a day or 2 after wash 

1 hour ago, Haycreekrambler said:

I also hand wash with soap and water. Waterproof jackets with taped seams and washer/dryers dont mix. Just my experience tho. I never do anything to my jackets except spray them down with fresh water unless they get real slimed up

I had a nice Kokatat dry top and the washing machine did a number on the rubber neck gasket area.  Now I just use soap and water like you mentioned.  I probably smell a little compared to the washing machine, but I'm not risking another top hehe.

I also have  Simms wading jacket that, I still really like. Become un-waterproof across the shoulders. I guess it was from constant movement of my shoulders and my plug bag strap. I spray it down with waterproofing spray twice year. I've since bought a couple stormr jackets, I hope they hold up.

i think it comes down to the washer.

Washers with agitators can damage taped seams

Agitatorless ones might as well be a hand wash

The newest ones with the jets I can't see doing any damage.

Never use tide pods...as they are only good at leaving residual

and don't roast it in the dryer

On top of that.  Fabrics have changed.