Wind knots on Daiwa Tournament Ballistic rod TNBA33-405G

Rate this topic

pavlov0032

it's not the guides, and I'm not sure why Daiwa would have told you the rod was built to be used with a conventional reel - Fuji designed the LCs specifically for spinning reels, not conventionals. As others have said, an overfilled spool is by far the most likely cause of your wind knots. 

I would also take a good look at your spool height - from the photo you posted it appears there's a gap where the line isn't filling in all the way to the bottom of the spool - this too will cause wind knots as coils get pulled off the spool prematurely.  you may need to put a small washer under the spool to raise it up slightly.

I've done stuff I ain't proud of, and the stuff I am proud of is disgusting.

I have a 10.5ft Century Slingshot 1-4oz that I built with the same Low Riders that Daiwa uses.  20mm stripper is on the ferrule.  I use this rod with both the Shimano Ultegra CI4+ 5500 and a VS150.  Both are spooled with 30lb PP and a spliced on 60lb PP Hollow Ace braid shock leader.  I have never experienced a wind not on this outfit.

42 mins ago, pavlov0032 said:

Thank you all for replies!

Another question: How much casting difference (with the same line,rod and lure weight) would be between Basia 45 Slow Wrap vs. off the shelf reel like Penn battle 6000 or such?

Wouldn't get a battle - go with a Daiwa BG over a battle. 

Distance will be about the same, if you want distance, ditch your spinning reel and go conventional.  Get yourself a Penn Fathom and start launching. 

19 hours ago, animalbarrie said:

Wouldn't get a battle - go with a Daiwa BG over a battle. 

Distance will be about the same, if you want distance, ditch your spinning reel and go conventional.  Get yourself a Penn Fathom and start launching. 

If the distance would be the same, why most of hi-end surf reels have conical 45mm spools, slow oscillation etc?

15 hours ago, dcast said:

That rod with the low riders is more than capable of handling long cast wide spooled spinning reels....I've used the widest Shimanos (76mm) (Aero Technium MGS XSB) with no problems.

Magnificient Trio 008.JPG

Yes, looks like i was doing something wrong during my casts.. How much distance you gained on a casts while using these hi end surf reels like the one above vs. regular reel?

56 mins ago, pavlov0032 said:

If the distance would be the same, why most of hi-end surf reels have conical 45mm spools, slow oscillation etc?

Couldn't help you there, I mainly throw conventional reels only on my 12-13' surf rods.  Only use spinning gear for my 9'6" rod that I use for Spanish and Blues. 

Your outfit will work correctly once you get the line level right on your reel.

Once that happens, the surest way to improve your casting distance is to work on your mechanics. Changing rods and reels will do much less to help you cast further than learning better casting technique. 

I have become too old to drink bourbon on the rocks. I will still drink it in the parking lot. 

This is an open forum.

A 40 pound braid is equivalent to a 10 pound mono.

With out getting to into it. Up the diameter of the braid.

The rod rates from 17 pound to 40 pound mono. NOT BRAID ! ! ! ;)

From one recreational fisherman to another. GOOD LUCK ! ! ! :)

Overalls With Suspenders

57 mins ago, SandSpike1 said:

This is an open forum.

A 40 pound braid is equivalent to a 10 pound mono.

With out getting to into it. Up the diameter of the braid.

The rod rates from 17 pound to 40 pound mono. NOT BRAID ! ! ! ;)

From one recreational fisherman to another. GOOD LUCK ! ! ! :)

In the previous post they advised me opposite - to go from 40lbs braid to 30 or twenty..

Thicker line manages wind knots better. Thinner line provides better casting distance. 

You asked two questions: why do I get wind knots and shouldn't I be able to cast further? You are getting answers to each question without order. 

I have become too old to drink bourbon on the rocks. I will still drink it in the parking lot.