BillHoo

Eeel fishing (or is it trapping?)

Rate this topic

27 posts in this topic

I hear of people getting eels in crab traps.  But I was wondering if anyone actually fishes for them?

Looks like the creel for American Eel in NJ is 25 up to 9 inches.

Does anyone fish for them with rod and reel?  Or is this something done more often with an "eel trap".  I've never seen an eel trap for sale anywhere btw.

Edited by BillHoo

Is the eel used for stripers the same as in the Delaware River? Sorry to piggyback here but curious. I caught an eel in a trap in LBI once but it seemed bigger than anything I remember out of the Delaware.

From what I understand, all the American eels are spawned in the Sargasso Sea and migrate to fresh water.  they are called different names depending on their life cycle.

But yes.  the Eels in LBI eventually become the eels in the Delaware.

https://www.fws.gov/fisheries/fishmigration/american_eel.html

A place of pirates and ghost ships and Lizard people

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sargasso_Sea#Depictions_in_popular_culture

Edited by BillHoo

i used killie traps with an extension or without an extension. 

different opinions on bait some work better than others. 

depending on the size of the eel i either fished live, rigged, skinned or made jigs. 

39 mins ago, BillHoo said:

From what I understand, all the American eels are spawned in the Sargasso Sea and migrate to fresh water.  they are called different names depending on their life cycle.

But yes.  the Eels in LBI eventually become the eels in the Delaware.

https://www.fws.gov/fisheries/fishmigration/american_eel.html

A place of pirates and ghost ships and Lizard people

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sargasso_Sea#Depictions_in_popular_culture

Thank you. The thing with eels is it seems so hard to find them live. Seems like bait and tackles never have them. I don't get it because every how-to for eeling says head to the local b&t, but every b&t website I go to doesn't list them. :confused:

Edited by hurricane1091

1 hour ago, BrianZ said:

i used killie traps with an extension or without an extension. 

different opinions on bait some work better than others. 

depending on the size of the eel i either fished live, rigged, skinned or made jigs. 

I hear some people have luck with lengths of surgical rubber tubing of varying lengths.... as an artificial eel I suppose..  Use a sharpie to draw on eyes and smiley face.

Edited by BillHoo

There’s a creek across from my parent’s house connected to the Shrewsbury that I grew up messing around in. We used to catch eels by rod and reel a couple ways. First was a bottom rig with a live killie. Cast out, hide rod in reeds and leave it overnight. Almost always an eel on in the morning. Not too sporty but as a kid it was still fun. Another way was casting out a live peanut on a bottom rig. This got hits pretty quickly so it felt more like fishing. Caught some big eels like this. They can tug pretty good as they swim backwards.

20 hours ago, MitchellNJ said:

There are eel traps. Can't imagine trying to fish for eels with a hook. Who's got time for that?

We would catch them pretty easy in the Raritan when I was a kid. We would chum them in with a can of cat food. Used worms or liver pieces. We sold them, usually $1/eel. Sometimes we would hook up with a carp or big cat. If I were interested is fishing with eels, I'd set up a live well with a cooler and find a spot. I'd imagine getting the right size would be the hardest part.

Stories I heard that were over by Hell's Gate locals would take animals that had been hit by cars, (dogs and or cats) and put them in burlap sacks and hang them overnight in off of local docks and piers.  Return the the next morning to a sack full of eels that had gnawed their way into the sack for the carcass and then were unable to or unwilling to leave the sack by the time it was retrieved.

21 mins ago, Cool Hand Fluke said:

Stories I heard that were over by Hell's Gate locals would take animals that had been hit by cars, (dogs and or cats) and put them in burlap sacks and hang them overnight in off of local docks and piers.  Return the the next morning to a sack full of eels that had gnawed their way into the sack for the carcass and then were unable to or unwilling to leave the sack by the time it was retrieved.

That sounds really COOL and DISTURBING at the same time.

Now, everytime I see roadkill, I'll be tempted to scrape off the road for eel bait.  Luckily, my wife will stop me!

I used to catch tons of them while fishing for spots or crokers on a hi-lo rig using pieces of squid in the back bays.  In either case, you catch some spots/crokers/eels and they are all excellent bait.  win win

Never fished for one with a rod/reel intentionally. The biggest one I ever caught was in a freshwater pond and was probably close to the state record, and caught in a killie. 

We used an eel trap as kids. Looked a little like a killie trap but with a canvas sock on the end. 

Bought some rope for my minnow trap yesterday. Going to throw it in the river down the street I guess and see if anything happens before I go out of my way to modify it. This is just going to lead into my buying korkers if I end up getting eels though :confused: