Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
robc22

Dream Brownie.....

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

MA DFW posted this pic of a brown trout they got while doing pond surveys.........Sometimes I think fish this size are almost impossible to catch........Kinda like trying to hunt an ole cedar swamp buck....They just got your number....

71831332_2738366219558827_9013910613587394560_n.jpg

I saw fish comparable in size a while back swimming right next to the bank at Jamaica pond, Hard to tell if it was a brown or a salmon though.

14 mins ago, robc22 said:

MA DFW posted this pic of a brown trout they got while doing pond surveys.........Sometimes I think fish this size are almost impossible to catch........Kinda like trying to hunt an ole cedar swamp buck....They just got your number....

71831332_2738366219558827_9013910613587394560_n.jpg

They are wicked difficult of course but the biggest reason guys don't catch fish like that more often is there are none.

I've spent 40 years on the banks of some of the best inland kettle ponds in the state.

With the exception of Walden back when it had smelt, fish like that are unicorns. 

When a rare one was caught, it was usually a stocked breeder.

Even the best anglers fishing all seasons and methods just don't catch them.

The good ponds holdover no problem. Brown trout live for years and many probably die of old age in those ponds.

Problem is, although they thrive on the rich insect diet, without meat, they don't grow worth a damn.

Herring or smelt is what it takes to grow trout lile that.

I just saw this was a river fish. Even more of a unicorn, BUT....

On FB F&W said they probably stocked it at 3 to 5 pounds.

With a size head start like that, it probably grew huge on stockers and native fish.

Not a brown but big pond fish do exist. 

I hooked this fish and handed the rod to my kid before I knew it was big. Almost pulled him in.

A central Ma kettle pond.

This was almost certainly a stocked breeder but the only thing F&W could tell me at the time was it hadn't been stocked recently. 

Ive fished the crap out of this pond since Reagan was president. I never saw another like it.

52903_1557580433020_2209656_o.jpg

4 hours ago, john1234 said:

I saw fish comparable in size a while back swimming right next to the bank at Jamaica pond, Hard to tell if it was a brown or a salmon though.

John I would be more inclined to say a Salmon . In another time they were always stocked so that the then Mayor of Boston, Mayor Curly could catch them. He then would get a picture as it was donated to the Home of Little Wanderers.  

7 mins ago, Angler #1 said:

John I would be more inclined to say a Salmon . In another time they were always stocked so that the then Mayor of Boston, Mayor Curly could catch them. He then would get a picture as it was donated to the Home of Little Wanderers.  

I was more thinking salmon as well but it looked an awful lot like that brown, I recall guys used to fly fish for them there in the 2000’s.

I can remember snorkeling below the shelburne falls dam and seeing very large troutish looking fish holding along the rocks.

That was almost 40 years ago.

45 mins ago, bob_G said:

Interesting that brown was a river fish. I would have bet it came out of South Pond. That place holds amazing trout. 

came from the swift river. I read about it earlier today. 

1 min ago, gray gables said:

it didn't say bob. I read about it on fb. I forget what page also. 

Thanks. I just looked it up, and you're right, it didn't say.

I've seen a couple fish like this in the swift. I've seen them below the y pool and well below caddy lane. They travel the whole river and can be anywhere. Trust me when I say this but you have a better chance at hitting megamillions then actually "legally" hooking one. They didnt get big being dumb. I have personally thrown everything I could think of at them.