Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Steve_in_PA

LI surf fishing, what licenses are needed?

Rate this topic

3 posts in this topic

When I go on the NY state gov WEB sites it appears I don't need a license to surf fish salt.  But when I go onto state park WEB sites they show sport fishing and night sport fishing permits.

What is needed?

I'm not a NY resident.

You need a New York salt water registration to fish anywhere on or off New York's coast.

There are also a number of different state, local and federal permits reqjuired to fish specific sections of coast, at least if you want to fish at night, drive on the beach, etc.  So while you can fish, for example, Robert Moses State Park during the day with just a registration, if you're willing to walk, you need a beach driving permit (good at other state parks) to drive on the beach, and either a beach driving permit or a night fishing permit to fish there after dark.  But if you go to Jones Beach State Park, you can fish at night with a beach driving permit or a night fishing permit, you can't drive on the beach under any circumstances.

You need to check the rules for every beach you want to fish.

Check the permanent post at the top of the page relating to permits for more information.

Edited by CWitek

57 mins ago, CWitek said:

You need a New York salt water registration to fish anywhere on or off New York's coast.

There are also a number of different state, local and federal permits reqjuired to fish specific sections of coast, at least if you want to fish at night, drive on the beach, etc.  So while you can fish, for example, Robert Moses State Park during the day with just a registration, if you're willing to walk, you need a beach driving permit (good at other state parks) to drive on the beach, and either a beach driving permit or a night fishing permit to fish there after dark.  But if you go to Jones Beach State Park, you can fish at night with a beach driving permit or a night fishing permit, you can't drive on the beach under any circumstances.

You need to check the rules for every beach you want to fish.

Check the permanent post at the top of the page relating to permits for more information.

Thanks.  Dang add pops up between the two stickies so I didn't notice the top one.  Exactly the summary I was looking for.